June 27, 2022

Prayerless?

 

 

READ Isaiah 49–52

Another of God’s surprises — yesterday’s message at church was a condensed version of today’s reading. Our pastor explained how inner temptations, external pressures, and a multitude of distractions threatened the early church, yet their leaders were determined to stick to their primary task of preaching and teaching. Today, this portion of Isaiah reads like a man needing encouragement to keep at his task of speaking the will of God to wayward people. He gets it by praying.

Isaiah prays how God “called me from the womb . . . made my mouth like a sharp sword . . . said ‘You are my servant in whom I will be glorified’ ” yet quickly added his problem: “I have labored in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing . . . .”

Feeling useless is bad enough, yet Isaiah felt that God’s calling on his life was wasted. He obeyed, yet could not see results. God’s people had not responded as he hoped. However, instead of letting this stop him from praying, he prayed about it!

I relate, at least at feeling my prayers are useless. God knows my struggle when I pray for people but they carry on as if God does not exist. And what about those in high places behaving as if no one ever asked God to give them wisdom for their decisions? This combination of an external lack of response and an internal temptation of thinking “why bother” can put me into prayerless mode, never mind my tendency to be easily distracted.

Yesterday’s sermon pointed to those distractions that stop prayer. I know all about it. I cannot study or work with music playing. Unfinished projects pile up due to lack of focus. I forget to answer texts and must have to-do lists to get anything done. On it goes, mostly not eternally serious — except when it comes to prayer.

My pastor gave me a line after the service: “Prayerlessness leads to death.” Today I note that Isaiah is praying with the same motivations that pressure me to give up praying — such as no answers and no visible change in those for whom I pray.

This reading moves back and forth between what Isaiah says to God and what God says to him. That is prayer. Further, God reminds this servant of truth he already knows. I’m just like that; I forget too easily . . .

“It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel; I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.” (Isaiah 49:6)

Thus says the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel and his Holy One, to one deeply despised, abhorred by the nation, the servant of rulers: ‘Kings shall see and arise; princes, and they shall prostrate themselves; because of the Lord, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.’ ” (Isaiah 49:7)

Isaiah is concerned that God has forgotten him, but God says: “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands . . . .” (Isaiah 49:15–16)

Isaiah tells God that His children have forgotten Him, but God says: “Behold, I will lift up my hand to the nations, and raise my signal to the peoples; and they shall bring your sons in their arms, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders. Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you, and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.” (Isaiah 49:22–23)

The prophet keeps praying and God continues to remind him of His faithfulness until the prophet is finally able to say:

But the Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame. He who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who is my adversary? Let him come near to me. Behold, the Lord God helps me; who will declare me guilty? Behold, all of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up. (Isaiah 50:7–9)

As I read and write, I realize that I could spend today here, totally distracted from prayer even though, like the NT church leaders, I know prayer is my primary task. God hears. God answers. He may say NO but even then, He is building patience in me, a virtue of completeness. His timing is amazing. I was distracted most of last week. He prepares a sermon that addresses distractions, then lines up today’s reading to put an exclamation mark on the sermon. What is left to say? Thank You, Jesus. What is left to do? Obvious — go pray!

 

No comments: