June 14, 2022

I don’t have to focus on me . . .

 

 

READ Song of Solomon 1–4

Some theologians think Song of Solomon is a collection of love poems celebrating the intimate relationship in marriage, an appropriate expression of human sexuality. Others understand it as an illustration of the mutual love between Christ and His church, an allegory. Perhaps it is both.

Married people know how their spouse is not the same as Jesus, yet there are occasions when the delights of being in love with another person is like the emotions felt for the God of our salvation. Song of Solomon cannot be read without thinking of both the good parts and the challenges of being fifty years married and fifty years of belonging to Him as part of His church, also called the Bride of Christ. This poetic book does bring memories and thanksgiving for the best parts of being a wife and being in a love relationship with my Creator and Savior.

“Your love is better than wine . . . . we will exult and rejoice in you . . . . Behold you are beautiful, my beloved, truly delightful . . . . With great delight I sat in his shadow . . . . his banner over me was love . . . . My beloved speaks and says to me: ‘Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away’ . . . .  My beloved is mine, and I am his . . . . I will seek him whom my soul loves . . . . You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you . . . . You have captivated my heart . . . .” (taken from Song of Solomon)

A devotional writer notes things such as the bridegroom finds the bride attractive and uses word pictures or metaphors to describe his bride. For example, he calls her a lily among thorns. In other words, other maidens are like thorns in comparison to his beloved. The bride is made to feel special in the eyes of the bridegroom and superior to any other woman. Everything that applies to the bride can be said of the bridegroom. Such a loving relationship between a man and a woman is a great gift from God. Yet the greatest gift is the loving relationship between Christ and His people. Most of all, they desire each other and do not want to be apart.

The Bible calls me to love God with all my heart and soul. It also says:

“In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.” (1 John 4:9–12)

My love for others is the ‘faith test’ that reveals my love for Jesus. This is not a physical or emotional love but a love expressed by obedience to God. This is clear: we “come to know and to believe the love that God has for us” and in that understanding, the response is returning that love by sticking close to Him, listening to what He says and gladly doing what He asks.

“God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.” (1 John 4:16–17)

Romantic love ebbs and flows and our culture is stuck on the idea that when those feelings vanish, we no longer love that person. God’s love is not about feelings or attractiveness but about doing what is best for others, meeting their needs and unselfishly being like Jesus for them. It usually involves sacrifice and always requires the Holy Spirit in His fullness. Love is first on the list of what He produces in my life. (See Galatians 5:22–23)

Today, like every day, I need You Lord, not only need Your love for me, but Your love filling me and flowing out from me so I can do whatever You ask that I might be Your loving blessing in the lives of others. In myself, I will think only of what works best for me and I can be terribly selfish. Yet You love and take care of me in wonderful ways. I don’t have to focus on me — because You focus on me. Remind me all day of Your love and let that be how I relate to everyone around me.

 

No comments: