June 25, 2022

Just what I needed to hear . . .

 

 

READ Isaiah 41–44

Isaiah is a black and white prophet. His gloom and doom are upsetting, but then he also writes passages like this one, four chapters of hope-filled good news. These days, there is not much of that, so I read these chapters like a hungry person at a banquet.

While he speaks to Israel, the Spirit of God uses these words as promises to all who are of faith, just as declared in Romans 9 and Galatians 3. As one who believes like Abraham, I can rest in the promises made to the OT people of God, like this one . . .

But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off”; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:8–10)

Jesus grants power in weakness and is my source and resource in all things. He also takes care of any who oppose me, people or spiritual powers . . .

Behold, all who are incensed against you shall be put to shame and confounded; those who strive against you shall be as nothing and shall perish. You shall seek those who contend with you, but you shall not find them; those who war against you shall be as nothing at all. For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” (Isaiah 41:11–13)

None of this is my doing. His care comes to me because of Jesus — prophesied in these familiar words . . .

Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be discouraged till he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his law. (Isaiah 42:1–4)

Because of Him, I can, “Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise from the end of the earth” and “give glory to the Lord, and declare his praise.” (Isaiah 42:10–13) He will “lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known” and “turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.” (Isaiah 42:14–16)

He also promises, “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior . . . . I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you.” (Isaiah 43:1–7) Such welcome news, especially for those concerned about their unsaved children!

He can say these things because He is “the Lord, our Holy One, the Creator of Israel, our King who blots out our transgressions for His own sake, and will not remember our sins.” (Isaiah 43:15; 25) Therefore He is able to “pour His Spirit upon our offspring, and His blessing on our descendants” and “They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams. This one will say, ‘I am the Lord’s,’ another will call on the name of Jacob, and another will write on his hand, ‘The Lord’s,’ and name himself by the name of Israel.” (Isaiah 44:3–5)

I am encouraged because these words are from “the Lord, the King of Israel” and my Redeemer, the Lord of hosts who says, “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.” (Isaiah 44:6)

Lord, my heart overflows with joy as You remind me again of Your goodness and power. You know how my mind works. Whether it is an attention-deficit problem, or just plain sinfulness, I tend to forget, to lose my focus. Every day I need to hear from You and every day You bless me with words from Your Word that are always what I need to hear. Thank You!

 

No comments: