June 28, 2022

God’s Great Gift

 

 

READ Isaiah 53–56

The first verse in this reading is not to be taken lightly. It asks, “Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (Isaiah 53:1)

It reminds me that I read the Bible for seventeen years without ‘hearing’ it. Only when Jesus Christ came into my life was it revealed to me and I believed it. This is not about intellect, nor education. While entering and living the Christian life can require mentors or preachers to help us, unless the Holy Spirit enlightens, faith does not happen because we just don’t get it.

Most of this reading is about Jesus. Some question how it could since it was written several hundred years before He was born, or they say this part was ‘added’ after. Yet if God’s Word is hidden to our eyes and heart until He opens it, this same God can reveal His salvation plan long before it happens.

53:6 is the reason for unbelief and spiritual blindness, and the solution for both. It says, “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” (Isaiah 53:6) This describes sin, not in the usual terms of murder, stealing, cursing God and worshiping idols, but as simply insisting on my way, my ideas, trusting myself for everything. It happens often. Do I ask God for wisdom when I buy groceries? Before I answer the phone? When I write a text or an email? I’m learning, usually the hard way.

The greater revelation is the last part — Jesus bore my sin and its penalty. He was afflicted and slaughtered because of me going my own way. I may not have done the ‘big’ sins, but the little ones, and ignoring Him and His Word are sins too. For all of that, and for all of every sin ever committed by the entire population throughout all time, He died.

And He died without protest or finger-pointing. He sweat drops of blood and asked for a different way, nevertheless said, “Not My will but Thine be done” and ”was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5)

How can I write about this? Isaiah did well. His words bless my heart, remind me of how much God loves me, and reinforce the idea that going my own way must be surrendered — “not my will but thine be done.”

I’ve a plan for today. It could be interrupted, changed by the will of God. I have great desires for good things that only God can do, but they are not up to me; He may not answer my prayers, even for what seems like His will. I trust Him and His choices, yet weep when sin seems stronger. I know He is sovereign and powerful, yet need to rely on that knowing, that revelation, that faith, when the evil in this world increases and the dark closes in.

It helps to read the whole Book. In the end, Jesus wins. Isaiah knew it. He wrote things to say so, to reveal to us mere mortals that God knows what He is doing and invites us into His plan.

It was the will of the Lord to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. (Isaiah 53:10–11)

For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the Lord, your Redeemer. (Isaiah 54:7–8)

For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10)

All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you. (Isaiah 54:13–14)

No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall refute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.” (Isaiah 54:17)

And finally, He calls out to all . . .

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. (Isaiah 55:6–7)

Amen.

 

No comments: