November 13, 2021

Speak — He replies

 

 

For a couple weeks, I’ve been selecting the next day’s devotional word the night before. Last night, I looked at REPLY and thought of how God answers prayer. Simply put, He replies by saying either “Yes, No, or Wait.” The “Yes” responses are almost always something unexpected. Seems odd to pray in faith that God will hear and answer, and then be surprised when He does, but it happens.)

For example, I’ve been praying for a certain person to turn to Christ. This morning I get the news that God answered. He surprised me. I thought it would take longer. God delights my heart when the events of life match up with the selected word!

Reply is simply “to answer, respond” and is used of interactions with people but also to describe God’s response to human cries. One of the first OT examples is when Abraham prayed that God would not destroy Sodom. The conversation culminated with Genesis 18:32, when this man said, “Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there.” God answered, “For the sake of ten I will not destroy it.”

Another OT example is God’s conversation with Job. He challenged this man with “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.” Job replied in humility, “I am of small account; what shall I answer you?” and refused to say more. God answered with, “Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me. Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be in the right? Have you an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?”

This conversation is similar to the experience of all God’s children. We talk to Him and He replies. It may not be this vivid yet His response is often from His Word, or from another of His people, or from an event or just comes as an insight. At times He replies by engaging us in intimate conversation.

NT conversations with the Lord are face to face in the Gospels. Rarely was Jesus silent if someone asked a question even a startling one. For instance, the disciples saw Jesus walking on water toward their boat. He said to them, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” Peter answered, Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” Jesus replied, “Come.”

I remember asking God an outlandish request. I’d seen some scrimshaw jewelry in Alaska. It was beyond my budget. However, I asked God if He would let me have one of those pieces and said that I could not think of any reason why, except that He loved me. He replied, not in words. The owner of the store told me that very day, as again I admired the jewelry, that she would trade me for one of my paintings. I was surprised and deeply humbled when she gave me not one, but two pieces.

After Jesus left this earth, He had a conversation with a man named Saul who was persecuting His people. Paul later tells of his conversation with Jesus in Acts 22:7–10.

“And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ And I answered, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ And he said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.’ Now those who were with me saw the light but did not understand the voice of the one who was speaking to me. And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Rise, and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all that is appointed for you to do.’ “

Again, not all conversations with Jesus are that vivid, yet even the least of His people know His voice and can hear Him reply to their fears, pleas, prayers and questions. Sometimes His responses are comforting, reassuring, convicting, or specific with answers and instructions. Once I was fussing in my prayers about things I could not control and He clearly responded with, “Elsie, you need to get out of my to-do list.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. When my kids were little and came to me with requests, I was sometimes negligent in not giving them my full attention. “Mom, are you listening?” I never need to ask the Lord that question. He is always listening and ready to reply. The real issue is — am I listening?

 

 

No comments: