November 16, 2021

God has no speed limit

 

 

Last night in our small group Bible study we talked briefly about the wonder of answered prayer along with the frustration of God’s timing; He never seems to be in a RUSH. People are in a hurry, but God seldom is — with exceptions.

In the OT, God’s responses were quick whenever the situation required them. For instance, a lion came roaring at Samson and “the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and although he had nothing in his hand, he tore the lion in pieces as one tears a young goat.” In dire situations, God will rush in to help.

In some cases, He also deals with sin in the same way. He warned His people not to intermarry with pagans around them, “for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord would be kindled against you, and he would destroy you quickly.”

His ability to be quick was appreciated when it was against their enemies as Deuteronomy 9:3 says: “Know therefore today that he who goes over before you as a consuming fire is the Lord your God. He will destroy them and subdue them before you. So you shall drive them out and make them perish quickly, as the Lord has promised you.”

In another case, newly appointed King Saul was given directions by Samuel. He told him where he would go, who he would meet, and several events that would happen. Then he said, “Then the Spirit of the Lord will rush upon you, and you will prophesy with them and be turned into another man.” This happened just as Samuel said it would and “God gave him another heart” which amazed all who knew him previously. In this situation, the Holy Spirit did not linger; He rushed in when needed.

It happened again when Saul noticed the people were weeping. When he found out why, “the Spirit of God rushed upon Saul when he heard these words, and his anger was greatly kindled.” While his actions seem unlike God at this news, “The dread of the Lord fell upon the people, and they came out as one man” showing that God’s quick response had a positive effect on His people.

The psalmists also mentioned that the Lord can be quick to respond. When human authorities rail against Him, He says in Psalm 2:12, “Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.”

In a psalm that points to the Messiah and His death for sin, a plea for the Lord’s aid says, “They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. But you, O Lord, do not be far off! O you my help, come quickly to my aid! Deliver my soul from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog!”

Another psalm pleads, “Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit” and Psalm 147:15 promises, “He sends out his command to the earth; his word runs swiftly.”

The prophets speak of God’s glory and that “He will come like a rushing stream.” They also tell of His quickness in dealing with enemy nations.

In the NT, the story of the prodigal son typifies the love of our Father God and describes how “his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.” This running says much. In first-century Palestine, older men did not run; it was neither respectable nor proper conduct. This parable is as significant in telling us about the father’s running in love as it is in telling of the prodigal’s return to seek forgiveness. Our God is eager and rushes to welcome us to Himself.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. While God’s seeming slowness is a patience-builder, He often asks me to “be quick about it” regarding my responses to Him. Hebrews 12:1 says, “Therefore, since I am surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let me also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let me run with endurance the race that is set before me.” Get on with it; passivity is not a virtue in the Christian life. Another example is Moses who in Exodus 34:8 “ . . .  quickly bowed his head toward the earth and worshiped.”

If I am impatient with God, what about God being impatient with me? James 1:19 tells me to “be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger” and for that reason, I should be far more concerned about my own speed than I am about His.

 

No comments: