November 18, 2021

Seized and Held Securely

 

Thinking about how God grabbed hold of me and keeps me in His grip, I tried SEIZE and found that in the Bible that word is mostly about human activity, some of it commanded by God. For instance, Joshua 8:7: “Then you shall rise up from the ambush and seize the city, for the Lord your God will give it into your hand.”

After finding a few more verses that tell how God seizes people, I tried HOLD and even though it’s meaning is slightly different, it also is about human activity, some commanded by God. For example, 2 Chronicles 20:17: “You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, and the Lord will be with you.”

Some verses tell how God treats those who defy Him. Isaiah uses seize in several places such as this vivid image about those who suppose they are secure:

Isaiah 22:17–19. “Behold, the Lord will hurl you away violently, O you strong man. He will seize firm hold on you and whirl you around and around, and throw you like a ball into a wide land. There you shall die, and there shall be your glorious chariots, you shame of your master’s house. I will thrust you from your office, and you will be pulled down from your station.”

However, God also holds tightly to His people. He says in Isaiah 41:13, “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not, I am the one who helps you.’ ”

However, God’s power to seize His enemies is repeated by the prophets. In Zephaniah 3:6–9, He says:

“I have cut off nations; their battlements are in ruins; I have laid waste their streets so that no one walks in them; their cities have been made desolate, without a man, without an inhabitant. I said, ‘Surely you will fear me; you will accept correction. Then your dwelling would not be cut off according to all that I have appointed against you.’ But all the more they were eager to make all their deeds corrupt. Therefore wait for me for the day when I rise up to seize the prey. For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of my jealousy all the earth shall be consumed. For at that time I will change the speech of the peoples to a pure speech, that all of them may call upon the name of the Lord and serve him with one accord.”

The psalmists seemed to understand God’s power to seize and hold both evil people and those who trust Him:

Psalm 59:5–9. “You, Lord God of hosts, are God of Israel. Rouse yourself to punish all the nations; spare none of those who treacherously plot evil. Selah Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city. There they are, bellowing with their mouths with swords in their lips— for ‘Who,’ they think, ‘will hear us?’ But you, O Lord, laugh at them; you hold all the nations in derision. O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress.”

Psalm 73:23–26. “Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Psalm 139:9–10. “If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.”

When Jesus came, the people were at first seized with amazement and glorified God, but later did what had to happen; they crucified Him. After His resurrection and ascension into heaven, He wrote to seven churches saying to one: “Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown . . . .”

He also sent an angel to seize Satan and bind him in a pit. Such is the power of God!

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. From Scripture I can hear God saying to me: “Because she holds fast to me in love, I will deliver her; I will protect her, because she knows my name. When she calls to me, I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble; I will rescue her and honor her. With long life I will satisfy her and show her my salvation.” Because of His power to hold me, I must say with Hosea, “By the help of my God, I will hold fast to love and justice, and wait continually for my God.”

 

No comments: