November 2, 2021

Mine? All belongs to Him . . .

 

 

Having been an owner, renter, landlord and tenant, both before becoming Christians and after, we are aware of the many attitudes that go with those roles. As a landlord, we discovered that some people treat their rental with great respect, others not so much. As a renter, we wanted a nice home and at first relied on our landlord to make it that way but later, took responsibility for upkeep. Home owners are not always careful with their property yet protective is someone else damages it. The child’s declaration with their toys is a reflection for many — “Mine!”

As time flies by, I’m increasingly aware that the stuff in my possession will not always be ‘mine’ but also that it never was. The Bible has taught me that God is the OWNER and I am a steward of anything and everything that He has placed in my care, not just our home, but all that it is in it and more. For a time, things are mine only to manage for Him.

This principle is stated in Psalm 50:10–11: “For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine.”

In the OT, a steward was entrusted with running a household for someone else. The same is found in the NT. They were sometimes called managers and Jesus used them to illustrate how His people are to be faithful in using whatever God gives us, using our ‘possessions in the way He wants them used rather than for our own gain.

These responsibilities include several things. For instance, Paul referred to himself as a steward who had been trusted with the mysteries of God. Clearly, God is the owner of those mysteries and His people are to be faithful in sharing them with others:

1 Corinthians 4:1–2. “This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.”

1 Corinthians 9:16–17. “For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship.”

Ephesians 3:1–3. “For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles— assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me for you, how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly.”

Also, God calls those who care for a local church His stewards or managers using the same word. In Titus 1:7, it is translated overseer, yet the NT is clear: God is the owner of His church. Those who lead and govern are given that task but must avoid the idea of ‘this church is mine’ because that possessive attitude can lead them astray. Instead, they must be “above reproach” in taking care of their responsibilities on behalf of the Owner.

Also, every Christian is a steward of God’s grace. We are members of His ‘household’ and serve one another according to the gifts God gives us, yet we do not own our church congregation. It belongs to God; He owns it and we manage the responsibilities and skills entrusted to us for the good of the entire household of God.

1 Peter 4:10–11. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Jesus said in a parable, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes.” When I think of God as the owner and my Master, my perspective changes, not just concerning the church, but also my family and possessions, even my duties as a wife, mother, grandmother, homemaker, and quiltmaker. I’m to treat my family as His, my stuff as His, and the things that I do, I am doing them for Him, not for myself or even for others. It makes a difference.

Not too long ago, I was working on a quilt and feeling tired of the repetition and doing a bit of inner whining. The Lord spoke, “Who are you doing this for?” Instantly I knew He didn’t mean the person who would receive it; He was talking about Himself. My grumbling vanished. How can I do anything for Him and complain about it! He owns my life, gifts me with skills, is in charge of even my breathing. Thinking of God as Owner changes all my duties into a joy. I need to keep my focus on Him.

 

No comments: