October 11, 2021

Wanting what God wants . . .

 

 

Today we eat turkey and give thanks. The turkey part is okay once in a while, but the thankful part should be all the time. I am so grateful to the Lord for taking care of all our needs, for the peace and joy we experience and for blessing us in so many ways. He knows what we want and need and knows just how to give satisfaction and contentment to our souls.

God’s Word uses DESIRE many times, most of them about human wants and wishes that are either fulfilled in good or sinful ways, or that are not satisfied. This is first verse I found that speaks of God’s desires:

Job 23:13. “But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back? What he desires, that he does.”

Job knew that if God wants something to happen, it will happen. Nothing is too difficult for Him or beyond His reach to possess. For example:

Psalm 132:13–14. For the Lord has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his dwelling place: “This is my resting place forever; here I will dwell, for I have desired it.”

God also desires people to know Him, not merely go through the rituals, but know Him in such a personal way that our lives are changed. Hosea 6:6 speaks of His heart, “For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.” Jesus said that if we knew what that means, we would “not condemn the guiltless” by passing judgment on others who ‘break the rules’ that people invent to please God.

For this, Jesus came. He desired that we know God the Father through faith in the Son. This is the desire of God and He has the power to make it happen. In Mark 3:13, Jesus “went up on the mountain and called to him those whom he desired, and they came to him.” He still calls people and they come, even today!

Yet in the days of His time here, Jesus expressed more of His desires. For example, He said in Luke 22:15, “ “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer” and He prayed in John 17:24, “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.” Jesus’ passion always concerns those that put their faith in Him.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. In 1 Timothy 2, God tells His people to pray for everyone because “This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” This motivates me to pray, even though my old nature desires to do anything but pray. The Bible speaks to that by reminding me that there is an evil spirit working in those who disobey, those “among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.” I am no longer a slave to that evil desire.

Instead, I am to “put off that old self, which belongs to my former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires” and put on the new self that desires all people to be saved just as God desires, and I can now pray to that end. This is what the Bible means when it says God does not desire sacrifices and offerings — He wants to see my new life — in action. When I focus on what God desires, my choices and decisions become much simpler and my prayers are more about eternal matters rather than temporary issues. God cares about them too, but His greatest desire is for changed lives.

To all in Canada and everywhere, Happy Thanksgiving — and the joy of knowing the Source and Giver of all good things!

 

No comments: