October 5, 2021

He opens our blind eyes . . .

 

 

Bragging is easy. If I’m feeling worthless and God gives me opportunity to do something significant, I’m pressed to remember Proverbs 27:2: “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.” Sometimes my husband does it, or appreciation and praise come from an unexpected source. But in the NT, Paul insists that the only COMMENDATION that is worth anything is that which comes directly from the Lord, not from one’s boastful self.

2 Corinthians 10:12. Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.

One time I praised a woman who had done a great job organizing an event. Without hesitation, she said, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” (James 1:17) Her genuine response in giving glory to God made me feel ashamed that I commended her instead of giving glory to Him.

Yesterday, I commended the Holy Spirit for all that we know about God. I said that without Him, we would be spiritually blind and ignorant of His ways. A listener began commending ‘us’ because we have hindsight, Scriptures, pastors and teachers, and all sorts of other things that keep us informed of the Lord. In other words, she was boasting of human ability instead of giving God the commendation due Him. A mild protest did not change her mind.

My heart felt that ache that happens when someone offends God, yet this event coincided with the ‘next word’ in my list of words to study about God. Studying commend helped me deal with that ache. I know that I spoke truth and God gave me these verses as affirmation:

1 Corinthians 2:13. “And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.”

2 Corinthians 3:1. “Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some do, letters of recommendation to you, or from you?”

2 Corinthians 10:18. “For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.”

2 Corinthians 12:6. “Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me.”

The ache did not go away because I was ‘right’ about this — but because it isn’t about me. Another Christian commended their own abilities saying this is how God and God’s ways are known and understood. Proverbs 26:12 speaks sharply to this: “Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him” but I don’t want to think sharply about this person. Rather, how do I pray concerning this?

Some time ago, a friend struggled with thinking she had to ‘do something’ to ensure her salvation. She knew better, but the struggle remained. I prayed for her and was dismayed at the answer; God took her through a terrible dark valley to help her realize her own helplessness. I felt bad for praying even though rejoiced that the Lord set her free from this problem. That issue and her experience makes me hesitant to pray for this other person.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. God has more to say about His commendations. In one passage, He speaks of how we who know Him well must not trip up those who are not there yet. That is, if I boast of my knowledge of God, it could make someone think they need a better IQ or a degree in theology to get there rather than relying on the Holy Spirit to illuminate their minds.

God initiates what we need. This is expressed in Romans 5:8. “But God shows (commends) his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” His redemptive work does not depend on our worthiness or what we do. He took the initiative because as sinners, we are unable to save ourselves or even realize we need saving.

Colossians 1:17 uses the same Greek word to say that Christ is before all things and in Him, all things hold together. This means all things are composed or commended because He does it. No one else can. As sinful people, we are helpless. Without Him, the universe and everything else would fall apart, not hold together. It is my prayer that God’s people understand this, not so we can boast that we know it, but so we can glorify Him that He revealed it to us!

 

No comments: