October 8, 2021

Settling contentions . . .

 

 

In a world filled with disputes involving almost everything, I’m not minding the isolation involving Covid. It keeps me away from the struggles and squabbles, yet I’m noticing the tensions and some inner stress.

CONTENTION is universal. In the OT, the sons of one man “contended against Moses and Aaron in the company of Korah, when they contended against the Lord.” This simple sentence shows that this dispute was rooted in rebellion against God and reveals how that attitude showed up in disputes with others. This suggests that submission to God — not always but in this and other cases — produces peace with others.

Job’s problem was not so much with people as it was a contention with God. He lost all he had and struggled with God’s silence to explain what was going on. Yet he also honored the Lord and His wisdom:

Job 9:2–12. “ . . . . But how can a man be in the right before God? If one wished to contend with him, one could not answer him once in a thousand times. He is wise in heart and mighty in strength —who has hardened himself against him, and succeeded?  . . . (He) does great things beyond searching out, and marvelous things beyond number. Behold, he passes by me, and I see him not; he moves on, but I do not perceive him. Behold, he snatches away; who can turn him back? Who will say to him, ‘What are you doing?’ ”

Job 10:2. I will say to God, Do not condemn me; let me know why you contend against me.

God affirmed Job’s declaration about God’s ways, but challenged his demands. He said: “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.”

Then Job answered the Lord and said: “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.”

Who can argue with the Almighty? Yet many do. To them, Isaiah wrote: “The Lord has taken his place to contend; he stands to judge peoples. The Lord will enter into judgment with the elders and princes of his people.”

His people rebelled yet He goes on to promise: “You shall seek those who contend with you, but you shall not find them; those who war against you shall be as nothing at all. For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not, I am the one who helps you’ . . . . Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken, and the prey of the tyrant be rescued, for I will contend with those who contend with you, and I will save your children . . . . Then all flesh shall know that I am the Lord your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob . . . .  I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite. For I will not contend forever, nor will I always be angry; for the spirit would grow faint before me, and the breath of life that I made.”

God contended with His people for their disobedience, challenged their home-made gods, and their vanity, yet David knew he could plead with Him: Psalm 35:1. Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me!

The NT uses of contend has several meanings including “to judge, distinguish, evaluate” and can also mean to “doubt” or “waver.” 1 Corinthians 11:31 says, “If we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged” and Jude uses the same word to say, “Have mercy on those who doubt.” The general sense is that contention is about trying to figure something out. It seems to describe those who make a decision about an issue at hand but (right or wrong) are pushing hard to affirm it to others.

Jude 3 has this to say: “Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.” The foundation here is not an opinion but standing firm on the Word of God.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. In these verses, I see a similar application as yesterday’s post. The answer to opposition and to those who contend against me is taking it to the Lord to learn His evaluation of my side of things, and seek His protection against any contention from those who disagree. As Jude suggests, I’m also to make certain that what I defend aligns with the body of truth given to me and to all God’s people. If I stand on that, God will stand with me and nothing can defeat that position. However, if I resist God and go with my own ideas or actions, I will lose, no matter how well I defend myself.

 

No comments: