October 21, 2021

Feeling Limited . . . ?

 

 

Festivals and forums are held to explore the question of human limitations. This includes “the morals we have imposed on ourselves” and realities such as the ability of robots to run faster that we can. Extremes exist. Some say the only limits we have are self-imposed. Others realize that limits exist and only fools push against them.

As a Christian, God is teaching me that He is in charge of how far I can go. Some of His LIMITS involve physical boundaries. This includes how far the oceans can invade the land, the extent of rain and even drought or whatever else happens in weather patterns and other ‘natural’ phenomena.

This also includes human restrictions. In Exodus 19, He called Moses up a mountain and “set limits for the people all around, saying, ‘Take care not to go up into the mountain or touch the edge of it. Whoever touches the mountain shall be put to death.’” Job realized his limitations also: “You put my feet in the stocks and watch all my paths; you set a limit for the soles of my feet.” Acts 17:26 echoes this: “He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place” setting these limits that we should seek God!

Some of His limits involve the knowledge of Himself. Job 11:7 asks, “Can you find out the deep things of God? Can you find out the limit of the Almighty?” Job 15:8 asks, “Have you listened in the council of God? And do you limit wisdom to yourself?”

God also limits what we can do. Job 14:1–6. “Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble. He comes out like a flower and withers; he flees like a shadow and continues not. And do you open your eyes on such a one and bring me into judgment with you? Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? There is not one. Since his days are determined, and the number of his months is with you, and you have appointed his limits that he cannot pass, look away from him and leave him alone, that he may enjoy, like a hired hand, his day.”

I’m learning those limitations related to my own ambitions. I have the ability to carry out my plans but the Lord has other plans and changes the course of my life, including the use of any talents He gave me. His decision relates to verses like Psalm 119:96. “I have seen a limit to all perfection, but your commandment is exceedingly broad.” This is a  contrast between the finitude of earthly things and the boundless nature of God’s commands. However, the words used here indicate that God limits my abilities so that I can be involved in doing His will. While His assignments may seem insignificant, they have eternal merit, a value that I am unable to discern. This makes small acts of obedience broader in scope than doing great things — according to my reasoning or any selfish ambition.

Romans 6:19 explains this even further. It says, “I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.”

The phrase “natural limitations” is not about some kind of feebleness but the temptation Christians face through the impulses of the flesh. It is not related to weak impotence but the limitations of strong defiance, that ‘I will do it myself’ attitude toward God. That is, my greatest problem is not being ethically or intellectually weak or even being immature, but thinking my way will work rather than following God’s way — including whatever might seem to me like great limitations.

Paul had this figured out. He said, “But we will not boast beyond limits, but will boast only with regard to the area of influence God assigned to us, to reach even to you. For we are not overextending ourselves, as though we did not reach you. For we were the first to come all the way to you with the gospel of Christ. We do not boast beyond limit in the labors of others. But our hope is that as your faith increases, our area of influence among you may be greatly enlarged, so that we may preach the gospel in lands beyond you, without boasting of work already done in another’s area of influence.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. When God tells me to do what seems a small thing that runs contrary to my grand notions of being in His will, I must remember that His ‘limitations’ are based on His eternal plan and what will glorify Him. My plans are so easily based on selfish ambition. As James so vividly points out, that way of thinking is earthly, unspiritual, even demonic and in opposition to relying on God’s wisdom. I’m glad for His limits.

 

No comments: