February 6, 2019

For the joy set before Him


Lately I’ve noticed how many Christians think that the perfect will of God means they will never be sick and never experience problems. This is appealing. Who does not want heaven on earth? And while we do enjoy the wonderful care of God and are blessed beyond our imaginations, I’m thinking I should never forget that the best is yet to come and that I should not be shocked by hardships.

In the second major discourse recorded in Matthew, Jesus calls His twelve disciples, gives them authority over evil spirits, diseases and afflictions, and sends them out to proclaim the kingdom of heaven. They were to do this without wages, trusting God to provide.
This was not a ‘walk in the park.’ Jesus said they would be like sheep in the midst of wolves, abused, accused and flogged. He told them not to worry, that the Holy Spirit would help them respond to this abuse and God would be speaking through them. Their greatest enemies might be family members, but they must endure their hate and threats of death in the power of God’s Spirit. (Matthew 10:1-22)

How did they react to this? I’m sure they were fearful because Jesus told them not to be afraid of anyone only God. He cares about sparrows, even numbers the hairs on our head. He implies they will be safe as they went, safe as they acknowledged God before men and safe as they walked in His will.

His next words must have shocked them . . .

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:34–39)

We who love Jesus and are in the Body of Christ tend to view our Savior as one who unites people, who brings unity in diversity, harmony to human relationships — and He does — in the Kingdom. However, as He says, those who love Him will find themselves at odds with those who do not. Bluntly put, following Jesus could mean surprising and painful rifts in family relationships.

When I believed, my mother could have hated me, my sister could have mocked me, but that did not happen for they were believers also. However, I do have family members who do not love Jesus as I do. They are polite yet not warm-hearted. In some cultures, this antagonism could be much greater, even meaning death at their hands.

While just being ignored makes me sad, Jesus surprises me again by saying that God is kind to everyone, believers or not. He will reward those who treat His people well:

“Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. The one who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and the one who receives a righteous person because he is a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.” (Matthew 10:40–42)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’ve mixed emotions reading this chapter of Matthew. It would be my preference to side with those who find comfort in thinking pain and rejection is outside the will of God, yet in doing that, I would be blind to reality and refusing to identify with You. God did not spare You, His own Son, from the pain and humiliation of losing Your life for a higher cause. Comfort, peace and good things are from God, but You, for the joy set before You, endured the Cross and the pain and sorrow that went with it. Your sacrifice makes it possible for those who trust You to enter eternity and experience far greater comfort and perfection than what we wish we could have here and now.

No comments: