October 2, 2018

Living in two worlds


We all know people that we might dub ‘two-faced’ because they act different ways with different groups of people. Teens do it, most out-grow it, but this is an identity problem and one of trying to please all of the people all of the time. It does not work very well.

Christians have a similar issue. We live in this world but are citizens of the kingdom of heaven. So where do I put my feet? I have the limitations of being human with weakness, pain, emotional downers and uncertainties, hard work and the lure of selfish living. In contrast, I’m a child of God (still human 😊) but with citizenship in heaven and intimate fellowship with the King of kings and Creator of the universe.

Many Christians try to live with one foot in each world, but that does not work very well.  

I noticed it comparing two Bible study groups. One is a friendly mix of laughter, teasing, and light-hearted banter. The Bible is studied but even the more serious discussions are seldom met with serious responses. The conversation topics indicate that many who attend have one foot in the world and the other reaching for the kingdom but have not fully planted it yet.

The other study is no less friendly but the participants are there for what they can learn. They are listening to the Word and to one another with a desire to better know Christ. They have a zeal for God and consider His Word their most important resource. Their feet are solidly in the kingdom.

As Tozer says, this mix of sacred and secular is not scriptural. The Bible tells us how to live as His people while in this world:

“For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.” (Titus 2:11–14)

Paul answers the issue even more succinctly. He wrote: “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Tozer says this is more than pious idealism, and I totally agree. The Lord wants me to live so that everything I say or do contributes to His glory. I’m not here to draw attention to myself or play around with worldly notions.

^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I know that You are in my life as King of my affections, my motives, my will and all my heart. I want that to go beyond lip-service and platitude to be entirely true, thoroughly a reality. Show me where and how to be as deeply committed to You in this life as I will be in the life to come.

No comments: