October 4, 2018

Closing the Gap


Many Christians call it the distance between head knowledge and heart knowledge. Tozer calls it the gulf between theory and practice. Non-Christians call it hypocrisy. We know the truth and because we are not doing what we know, that truth has not set us free.

As I write this, I am deeply convicted of the hypocrisy in my criticism of anyone who does not practice common sense. I should never say a person is stupid when they obviously know better — because I do the same thing. Failing to practice what I know is no different from anyone else who does it.

The New Testament writers knew all about this problem. The Bible is filled with admonition to be rooted and grounded in the love of God so we can do what He teaches us to do. It tells me that I can rely on Him to fill me with His spirit so that I can do His will. However I too easily go my own way and regret it later.

“For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:14–21)

This is why I need a Savior. The Bible says it is God that grants me power through His Spirit so that I can be rooted and grounded in love and have the strength to know the love of Christ and be filled with the fullness of God. I can't do this myself. And here lies the rub — my old self life always tries to do the will of God and fails and my pride perpetuates this foolishness mistake.

God has only one solution for that. It is a most humbling solution. I'm humbled by the activity of applying it, but also by the many times I have to repeat it.

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

Confession always shifts the power base from my old life to Christ. It reminds me that head knowledge is not enough; I have to obey Him and I can't do it in my own strength. It reminds me how much I need him. It changes my motivation from pleasing me to pleasing God. It shifts my interests to things on earth to things in heaven. I see the Gulf between what I know and how I live. It makes me realize how much I need the power of God to do the will of God.

^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You are my Savior. Put my theology to work. Give it shoe leather. In your loving patience, keep at me. I feel so far from being what I should be and must put my hope in your promises to change me, to bring forth that newness of life that you have given me, to make it real not only in my head but in my heart in everything that I say and do. 


No comments: