April 1, 2012

Great is Thy Faithfulness

My Bible software has a new feature that allows me to convert my own writing into a “book” that can be listed in its “library” of dozens of other books, including Bible versions, commentaries, dictionaries, Bible studies and so on. In that format, the software indexes each book. That means if I type in any search word or Scripture reference, it will find and list all occurrences of that word in my library, including my own writing.
 
For me, this is a great feature. I’ve written hundreds, even thousands of pieces and sometimes need to find a particular one of them, an almost impossible task. However, to get all my articles and devotional writing ready for this, they have to be Word documents. For many years, I used WordPerfect. Now I must open and save everything in a new format. As I’ve been doing this, I’m drawn to read some of them and am amazed at the faithfulness of God. I began daily devotions in the early seventies, and have experienced His grace in speaking me through His Word every day, missing perhaps less than a dozen days on my part, and hearing silence from Him even less than that. Through this review, I’m receiving a repeated blessing.

Today’s devotional reading offers a short verse as another reminder that God is always ready to meet His people, beginning first thing in the day.
In the morning the word of the Lord came to me. (Ezekiel 12:8)
God reminds me again that a quiet hour spent alone with Him at the beginning of the day is the best preparation for the challenges that day may bring. Whether deep or brief, His Word offers advice, encouragement, correction and instruction. Prayer, whether brief of lengthy, is His avenue of giving wisdom, grace and strength. As I talk with Him, He pours out the Holy Spirit so I can carry His Word and His blessings into the day — with joy and the sense of His presence and help. 

God takes my concerns and does what only He can do concerning them — while I do the work He has given me. He watches over family and friends, lifting my burdens for their needs. He faithfully listens and allows me a joyful trust in Him. No matter how dark or discouraging my circumstances may appear, my Father’s hand is guiding and gives wise direction to every decision and problem that comes my way.
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22–23)

Praise You, Lord for always being here when I stop to spend time with You. Your faithfulness has been, and will continue to be, a great blessing. The time I spend with You is the most important part of my day, every day.

No comments: