August 18, 2006

Still in school

A few years ago I was taking some seminary courses. My mother-in-law said, “I just can’t understand why anyone would go to school when they didn’t have to.”

I chuckled and told her I loved learning new things. At least most of the time. The learning curve is something like a roller coaster. Scarey. Exhilarating. Challenging. I didn’t think to tell my mother-in-law at the time, but even she is in school all her life. The classroom might be changed, but everyone constantly learns new things.

For Christians, learning is an important part of God’s plan. Acts 1:1-3 say: “In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.”

Jesus, the ultimate teacher, only “began” teaching when He was here on earth. He taught His disciples then, and again after His crucifixion and resurrection, and keeps on teaching us.

Yesterday I caught part of a radio sermon in which the preacher pointed out that Christian learning is not the same as normal academics. In school we read text books, learn a body of information, and write essays and tests to learn the material. In Christ’s school, we read the Bible and may even know most of what it says but that is not enough—we will not actually learn it until we have to use it, until we obey and do whatever God is teaching us.

For instance, God says I’m to love my enemies. For most of my life, I didn’t think I had any. Then came a day when a person threatened our home and family. An enemy. Would the lesson from the Bible be a reality in my life? Or would I ignore it and hate this person? God expects obedience. In fact, if it doesn’t happen, He usually repeats the lesson.

For some things, the lessons are easy, but I’m stubborn. He often has to take me back to His classroom many times for the same lesson. Not only that, every day brings new challenges to test whether or not I really have learned what He has taught me.

God’s “school” is not an option, nor will I someday finish and go on to something else. I’m here for life. However, His promise that He will use all things to transform me into the image of His Son becomes a goal, and a good reason to remain in His classroom and do my best to get those assignments in, completed, and on time. I’m not sure what graduation day will be like, but it seems to me that persisting with learning His lessons is a much better idea than cutting classes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elsie,

I enjoyed reading your post and I noticed that you've been struggling with cancer yourselves. I will keep you in prayer starting right now.

Heavenly Father,

I lift Elsie and her husband to you and ask you to pour your blessings upon them. Give them strenght and endurance to run this race. Fill their lives with thoughtful, caring people and watch over them with your protective love. In Jesus' name. Amen.

God bless.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thanks, Donna. I'm so thankful for the prayer support of people like yourselves, and for the grace of God that makes it possible to surrender to His will for our lives. What a blessing in knowing that He cares, and that He is in charge!