August 5, 2006

Shot down by stinkin' thinkin'

The unknown can be hugely stressful. I’m thinking about our granddaughter living with us for a few weeks. I’ve known her all her life, but for five years she lived in another part of the country, went to university, read and learned much, has a degree, worked at a very challenging job, has some health challenges, and will not be the same girl who left five years ago. I’m a bit stressed about being a good gran, and adjusting all the unknowns as we get to know her again.

I’m also stressed because I’m focusing on that. I realize that is not a good idea, but as soon as I say to myself, “Handle it as it comes; don’t think about it so much” — guess what? I’m thinking about it.

Today’s Bible reading offers an alternative: “I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the wicked one. I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father. I have written to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one” (1 John 2:13-14, NKJV).

John writes to people who know one thing—God. He is from the beginning, and He is their Father. John commends some of them for spiritual victory because they not only know God, but they know His Word; it makes its home in them. In another part of the Bible, John calls the Word of God our sword against the lies of Satan. This weapon is simply part of their lives and gives them the power to thrive, even when their spiritual enemy hammers them with his tricks and temptations.

One of his tricks is diverting my thoughts from the power of God to my own impotency, uncertainties and fears. If I think too much about my weaknesses, or what might happen, or what I need to do when it does, then I am down for the count.

How foolish. I know the Creator God. He made the universe and all that is in it. Surely He can come up with solutions for any unexpected challenges I might face. I also know Him as my Father. I can run to Him with every bump and bruise, problem or perplexity. There is nothing too hard for God.

The Word of God also lives in me. When I call on Him, He brings to my recall His promises and words of wisdom, comfort and encouragement from the Bible. Thinking about them instead of ‘what might happen’ gives me victory over my fears because they reverse my stinkin’ thinkin’ and foolish ‘what-if’s’ that take me nowhere except in dizzy circles.

So today I need to use God’s Word, my weapon, and focus on what and Who I know. Otherwise I’ll be knocked down worrying about a tomorrow that, like today, is already in His capable hands.

No comments: