May 5, 2018

Wanting a good life?


The book of Proverbs has hundreds of short, pithy sayings that are generally true. They are expressive and often easy to remember. Some are amusing. Others are deeper in meaning and expressions of truisms that are intended to guide God’s people. They require a measure of wisdom to discern their significance. One of them says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” which suggests that without a reverent attitude toward God, don’t be too confident in interpreting Proverbs.

Tozer’s daily devotional says more about the fear of the Lord and how it is a good thing . . .

“The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.” (Proverbs 22:4)

For one thing, this reverential fear is paired with humility. If I think too highly of myself, I will not have the right attitude toward God. That means I will miss out on wisdom, and according to this proverb, I will also miss out on the good life.

That seems simple, but I know that human beings have different definitions for the good life. For some, it is a great job and a large paycheck. For others, it is a hammock on the beach with a glass of wine and soft music. It can also be health, or wealth, or many friends, or a large family, or no family. The good life God describes may include those things, but I’m convinced it includes something that makes wealth, a good reputation, and abundant living far more valuable — contentment.

In my experience, those three things are not ‘rich’ at all without being satisfied. Many who have money are always striving for more. Many who have good reputation constantly look over their shoulder or worry about making a mistake that ruins it. For some an abundant life is not enough because they have that empty place inside that no amount of ‘stuff’ can fill or satisfy.

The proverb has it right. The good life is for those who are humble and fear God. Humility is not a door-mat attitude, or a put-down of self-worth. It is more about not thinking of myself at all. It is putting my focus on the greatness of God with the realization of my sinfulness and my size in this vast universe. Humility adds to that reverence for God and builds appreciation for what I do have. This means that the good life is not about bigger, better, and more. Instead it is about being happy with what I have and doing what I can to help others find that same contentment.

There is a radio program in which the host has riches and honor and life, yet he gives a startling answer to those who ask, “How are you?” He says, “Better than I deserve!” He is humble and fears God.

^^^^^^^^^
Lord, these days focus on You is a challenge because of health issues. I easily fall into a pity party because my focus is on me not You, on my problems not Your glory. Forgive this selfish pride and grant me a greater appreciation and awe of You and Your magnificence.

No comments: