October 5, 2017

Go where grace entices you . . .



A proverb is a short saying that is generally true. It is not a promise or guarantee. Proverbs need some interpretation and careful thought. For instance, this one:

“Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)

One interpretation of this proverb has brought grief to many parents. Their children grow up rebelling against what they have been taught and the parents blame themselves and might even lose their faith in God.

They didn’t realize this is a proverb about something else, not a guarantee for raising godly children. We do our best, but must remember that Adam and Eve had a perfect Parent, lived in a perfect environment, and they went astray despite those advantages!
A better interpretation of this proverb goes like this: Train up a child in the way of his natural skills and abilities, and when he is old, he will still be using them.

Most of us know that if a child loves music, parents should not force him to play football, or if a child is interested in science and bugs, do not insist that he becomes a wallpaper designer. Of course, some children have multi-talents and interests, but the point is that I ought to know enough about my children to encourage them in their interests and abilities, their natural ‘bent’ that makes them who they are.

This can go beyond the practical interests such as choosing a career or choosing hobbies and pastimes. The Bible speaks also of spiritual gifts. I’m thinking of the list in Romans 12 that uses language hinting these gifts are part of the way a person thinks, indicating the “way he should go.”

This is a big topic and impossible to fit into this post, but after considerable study in this area, I’ve concluded that much of my interests and abilities are related to my spiritual gifts. I’ve noticed the same in my children, and thankfully not too late in their lives to encourage them. For instance, one is gifted in teaching. Biblically, this gift is about being interested in many things and gathering information to help people think correctly about many topics. This child of ours was teaching computer skills to grades 1-3 when he was in grade 7. He didn’t become a teacher, but uses this gift in his job as a project manager. Also, he has never stopped helping people with their computer problems.

As an adult, he thoroughly researches everything. I’ve known a few others who do this and thought they were a bit obsessed, but because of Proverbs 22:6, I understand them better. The desire of their heart is to think rightly and help others think rightly. If they are Christians, this is expressed in solid Bible study so the truths of God are not only researched for personal benefit but to share with others.

Had I known about these God-given skills when they were young, I would have understood and trained my children with a stronger focus on this “way they should go.” However, God brought out their gifts anyway, and gave me a general idea to encourage them. All three know ‘the way they should go’ and that way has not changed throughout their lives.

My parents had less clue of this than I did, but they knew my interests and skill and encouraged me. My mother told me that if I was doing artistic things, I didn’t have to do much housework, just 1-2 short chores. My dad was machine-oriented, but he made sure that from a young age I always had a horse to ride. I still appreciate the freedom of their respect, particularly when I hear a parent say that their children’s interests are nonsense, or call their child weird in the way they think.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, this is still a practical truth. Knowing people are gifted in various ways helps me ask questions and discern their interests. I can encourage them to develop and use their gifts and follow their passions. Many have not had any training from their own parents and are blessed when told to ‘go for it’ by another adult. This also helps me focus; I am one of those easily distracted people because everything interests me, but unlike You, I cannot do all that catches my eye. You know the way I should go and keep nudging me in that direction — bringing great blessing and sense of purpose to my life! 

No comments: