October 10, 2017

A Capable Leader . . .



In almost every country, the citizens desire a capable leader. If their head of state, whatever the title might be, is not capable of leading to their satisfaction, they either revolt and throw that person out of office, or vote for a different leader.

In our country as well as in the USA, the people are often divided and what makes a leader capable. Depending on their own preferences, experiences, and personal interests, the options range across the spectrum of human abilities. The old saying, you can’t please everyone all the time, is proven true when it comes to political leaders.

What strikes me as odd is that God falls into the same category. Everyone has an idea of the ideal god, and if their ‘god’ does not match the God of the Bible, they will change the Bible rather than change their concept. This is strange because the God of the Bible is capable, more capable than anyone can imagine:

“Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.’” (Isaiah 46:8–10)
“Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.” (Psalm 115:3)
“Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.” (Psalm 135:6)
“For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.’ So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” (Romans 9:15–16)

He does not need to be elected into office because He already rules the world. Like it or not, this entirely capable Leader is on the throne, sovereign, and doing all He pleases. Our problem is two-fold: we either don’t understand what He is doing, or we don’t like it because it does not fit with our personal preferences.

While the God of the universe cannot be kicked out of office or replaced in a universal sense, people who do not want Him to rule will replace Him with a ruler of their own choice, usually themselves. To this, God laughs.

“Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying, ‘Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.’
“He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, ‘As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.’ I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, ‘You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.’
“Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.” (Psalm 2:1–12)

This passage alone raises many hackles. How can this God be feared, rejoiced in, angry and filled with wrath, yet also be a refuge? This makes no sense for those who want a ruler they can manipulate or who at least behaves in predictable ways. No one can pull the strings of a God like this God, and no one can second-guess His actions. The news media would have a fit!

^^^^^^^
Jesus, I am totally aware that only those who have taken refuge in You understand even a small bit of the Father’s will. We also can expect answers to our prayers. That is, to understand the one true God means to cease looking for a god that fits all my desires and say YES to this God who does whatever He pleases. I’m so glad that by grace You have allowed and enabled me to do that!



No comments: