August 2, 2011

Who picked who?

Is God sovereign? Do I have a free will? The Bible supports both, but I shake my head trying to figure out how that is possible. How can both be true without one cancelling out the other?
In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:11–12)
For some, the idea of predestination means that God has foreordained all that will happen, especially the salvation of some and not others. This seems like we are mere chess pieces on a divine game board. Yet the last part of the above passage speaks of those who hope in Christ. Throughout Scripture, this is offered as a choice we can make. Which is it? God picked me? Or I picked God?

Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Dictionary (1995, 1986 by Thomas Nelson Publishers) offers this lengthy but helpful explanation.

Predestination is the biblical teaching that declares the sovereignty of God over human beings in such a way that the freedom of the human will is also preserved.
Two major concepts are involved in the biblical meaning of predestination. First, God, who is all-powerful in the universe, has foreknown and predestined the course of human history and the lives of individuals. If He were not in complete control of human events, He would not be sovereign and, thus, would not be God.
Second, God’s predestination of human events does not eliminate human choice. A thorough understanding of how God can maintain His sovereignty and still allow human freedom seems to be reserved for His infinite mind alone. Great minds have struggled with this problem for centuries.
Two views of predestination are prominent today. One view, known as Calvinism, holds that God offers irresistible grace to those whom he elects to save. The other view, known as Arminianism, insists that God’s grace is the source of redemption but that it can be resisted by people through free choice. In Calvinism, God chooses the believer; in Arminianism, the believer chooses God.
Although the term predestination is not used in the Bible, the apostle Paul uses a form of the same word in Ephesians 1:11: “We have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will.”
All Christians agree that creation is moving within the purpose of God. This purpose is to bring the world into complete conformity to His will. From the very beginning of time, God predestined to save humankind by sending His Son to accomplish salvation. Thus, “God would have all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:4).
The doctrine of predestination does not mean that God is unjust, deciding that some people will be saved and that others will be lost. Mankind, because of Adam’s FALL in the Garden of Eden, sinned by free choice. Thus, no person deserves salvation. But God’s grace is universal. His salvation is for “everyone who believes” (Romans 1:16).
The article goes on to say that Paul declared himself obligated to take the message of the gospel to other people so they might hear and obey. The New Testament says no one is saved apart from the will of God and no one is lost apart from the will of God. It is clear that the will of God functions within an order that He Himself has established.

Nelson also adds that predestination is “a profound and mysterious biblical teaching.” No kidding! It forces me to think about divine sovereignty for which I am so grateful, but also about my freedom and responsibility. What do I do and say in response to all that God does?

*************
Father, those two verses from Ephesians tell me that You have given me an incredible inheritance. I know that I have not done anything to earn or deserve it. Could have I said no to the offer? It doesn’t seem so, just as it seems impossible to turn away from You now that I hope in Christ and am Your child. I don’t understand how You can be sovereign and still tell me to make choices, but I do know that You manage to use even my bad choices to teach me good things. This is a mystery.

But this is also what faith in You is about; trusting You and believing what You say even when I do not understand it. Your mind is awesome. One day I will know and understand, but today I am content to let You be God. My part is to do whatever I can to bring praise to Your name.

No comments: