August 20, 2011

The Sweet Psalmist of Israel

Books filled with “famous last words” interest many, perhaps because they often sum up a life and reveal regret or accomplishments. The last words of David, king of Israel and a “man after God’s own heart” were recorded:
Now these are the last words of David: The oracle of David, the son of Jesse, the oracle of the man who was raised on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, the sweet psalmist of Israel. . . . (2 Samuel 23:1)
The passage goes on with a few lines of how God spoke through him and blessed his life, however, David’s last words are not nearly so famous as his poetry recorded in the psalms. For instance . . . 
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalm 23:1–6)
Why are these and other psalms so striking and such a blessing to our hearts? Spurgeon nails it. He points out that, of all Old Testament characters, David is the most suggestive of Jesus Christ.

David knew the trials of all human ranks and situations. Kings have their troubles; David wore a crown. Peasants have their cares; David handled a shepherd’s crook. The homeless have many hardships; David lived in the caves in the hills. Leaders have difficulties; David had many of those. He was tested by his friends, forsaken by some, and his worst foes were of his own household.

David also faced the temptations of both poverty and wealth, honor and reproach, of health and weakness. He had external temptations to disturb his peace, and internal strife that marred his joy. He no sooner escaped from one trial than he fell into another. He moved from seasons of joy to despondency and fear. As Spurgeon says, all God’s waves and billows rolled over him.

No wonder then that David’s psalms are so universally a delight to those who walk with the Lord. Whatever I experience, from ecstasy to depression, David describes those emotions of his heartfelt, personal experience and I can relate to what he says. I cry the same way, wonder why the same way, and hopefully also am learning to love God the same way. As I grow in grace and in years, his psalms are increasingly appreciated and become my “green pastures and still waters” also.

************
Lord, in my sorrows over these past few days, I’ve neglected the psalms. As I read Spurgeon, You remind me how You offer so great a solace and companionship in this part of Your Word. As I go there, I know that You will use the words of the sweet psalmist of Israel to bless me this day. Thank You. 

(Clipart credit)

No comments: