August 12, 2011

Stability in the storms


In our part of the world, it rained so much last month that when I went out, I didn’t know whether to take an umbrella or a canoe! August is a most welcome month as it brings more settled weather. It hasn’t rained for at least 36 hours and the sky today is clear.

Storms are often used in the Bible as a metaphor for the trials of life. However, what the disciples experienced on the sea of Galilee with Jesus was no metaphor.

And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?”(Matthew 8:23–27)
Today’s devotional reading points out that for parts of life there are no storm, no crisis, and during those times, we do our human best. However, when a crisis arises, we instantly reveal upon whom we rely.

This is so true. If my trust in God only goes up to a certain point, trouble will produce those basic panic prayers like those prayed by people who do not know God. This reveals that I am not really trusting that Jesus controls the world and the affairs of my life. Instead, for me He seems to be asleep and I can see nothing but high waves ahead. If I am relying on myself and suddenly find that I have no resources, I panic. I see others do the same, just as the disciples did.

Jesus said that they had little faith, yet they did not stay that way. As they walked with Him, their faith increased. It is the same for His people today. Through His Word and our experiences with Him, our faith grows. As I learn to worship and trust Him, then a crisis ought to reveal that even when I come to a breaking point, my confidence in Him remains firm.

The devotional says God expects His children to be so confident in Him that in any crisis we are the reliable ones. That means that we not only give joy to Him because of our faith, but we also become an anchor for others. Even if my faith in God is not shared by someone else who is in trouble, I’ve had people say that they like to hang around me because, “you are so stable.”

***************
Lord, I know You are my anchor in storms and the solid rock upon which I stand. I’m totally astounded and humbled that others would see me as a solid place for them when they panic. This is so amazing because when I am relying on You the most, I am also the most deeply aware of my weaknesses. Because of You, even when I feel like a useless pile of mush, others can see me as their source of stability. You again impress me with the importance of trusting You — all the time, no matter what happens, and particularly during storms.

No comments: