August 6, 2011

Prayers: little and big

Today’s devotional from Morning and Evening by Spurgeon is about praying big things. This is timely for me because yesterday God answered one of those seemingly impossible requests. It is a family matter that I cannot describe only to say that no one had any hope of any results, never mind the amazing answer that happened.

When I prayed, I didn’t tell God how to fix the problem. Sometimes I do that, but telling God what to do is a huge insult. Instead, I presented the problem with a “surprise me” attitude and He did something unexpected and perfect for the situation. Praise His name!

Sometimes my prayers are about little things. I confess to praying for parking spaces when I’m pressed for time and the lot seems full. I also pray for wisdom when I go grocery shopping and self-control when passing the frig or the pantry.

I have friends that say this is silly; that we should not bother God with stuff we can handle ourselves. I do not agree. For one thing, where do I draw the line between what I can handle and what only God can do? To be honest, I can remember many times that my “handling” of things simply got in God’s way. He is polite and lets me try, but once I realize my solutions are neither wise nor effective, He is ready and willing to step in when I pray. So I’m learning to “pray without ceasing” and trying to eliminate the folly of that learning curve.

Also, lately my prayers include much bigger requests. They are larger in scope and in global importance. I try not to pray mushy things like, “God, bless the world” but specific requests, like “God, bring daily bread and Your peace to Your people in the Congo.” Most of the time, these prayers are less self-centered and more about those areas of need that are beyond me. I’ve no idea how God can do it; I just know that He can.

I seldom hear others praying big prayers, but Spurgeon points to one made by King David in the psalms. David said this:

Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous things. Blessed be his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory! Amen and Amen! (Psalm 72:18–19)
I’ve prayed for God’s glory when I have conversations with others, during sport competitions (does He care who wins?), and when someone faces illness or adversity that seems purposeless. If God cannot be glorified in any of these situations, or any other events of life, then I might ask Him to change that situation. However, His glory is becoming more of a focus.

Also, one of my bigger prayers involves a close relative. He is in a cult and has been deceived, even brainwashed. I’ve prayed many years for his release from this bondage. Now I’ve started praying that the entire organization to which he belongs gets a wake-up call from God. God can save one soul from sin and the grasp of Satan’s lies so why not ask Him to save a multitude of souls while He is at it?

Spurgeon wonders if anyone can bow before the Crucified Jesus and not want to see their King as master of the entire world. There is no way I could love Jesus and enjoy His love for me without wanting others to know Him and His great mercy, love and grace. As my world grows bigger, then I can also pray that God will bless others with the revelation of His glory.

This can happen. The people of God must pray, both little and big prayers. We have a powerful God whose grace is sufficient to meet every need, from parking places to peace on earth. If we try to do it all ourselves, then reading the newspaper is sufficient to show the folly of taking that route.

***************
Father, You continually amaze and surprise me with answers to prayer. I know I’m to pray in faith, but You even answer those prayers prayed in helplessness and confusion. In fact, it seems as if You prefer me to feel weak and unable. While feeling helpless and not knowing what to do isn’t pleasant, this is far better than ignoring You and missing opportunities to see the wondrous things You do. Bless your glorious name, now and always. May the whole world, from my small corner to outer space, be filled with Your glory.

No comments: