August 28, 2011

Prayer changes me

It is noted that the more time spent with another person, the more the two become like each other. However, since Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, the more time spent with Him changes only one of us. In the past dozen years or so of praying with another couple for our family members, we have seen only few changes in our families, but great changes in us four.

Today’s devotional reading says, “It is not so true that ‘prayer changes things’ as that prayer changes me and I change things.” The author adds that God designed redemption-based prayer to alter the way His people look at things. Prayer isn’t so much about changing external things, but of working wonders in our disposition. As I consider this, the following verses give more instruction: 

Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” And he said to them, “When you pray, say: ‘Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread, and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.’” (Luke 11:1–4)
In Jesus’ model for prayer, attention is first toward God’s glory and His plans for the world. So often prayer begins with ‘help me’ yet in praying only for myself, I am feeding only myself, not building on the new life of Christ that is in me. That unchanging life shines only when I get out of its way. To do that, my prayer needs to focus on Him, not on my agenda.

That does not mean ignoring my needs. Jesus is clear that I need to pray for some basic stuff. Feed me, forgive me as I forgive others, protect me from temptation. The feeding part is daily bread, but this could include spiritual food. Jesus also said “I am the bread of life” so I need also to feast on Him.

Not only that, in context the bread that the praying person asks for is not for himself. Others are hungry and need my help. Jesus sums this passage up by saying, “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13)

From reading the entire passage, I can see that Jesus’ model prayer does not exclude asking for my basic needs, but it is more about asking God to supply my basic needs that I might offer what He gives me to others who need bread too. His words clearly indicate that to do this, I need the Holy Spirit and an answer from God.

I also need to keep sin from becoming a barrier in my relationship with Jesus. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9) Confession is a big part of prayer, not as a catharsis for me, but as a barrier remover that Christ might forgive me and let His life shine through me.

In my relationships with others, the big barrier is always sin too. One or both of us do things that come between. Jesus says that when I ask for His forgiveness, I need to remember that it will be given like mine is given. If I am holding the sins of others as a barrier, then this will also be a barrier in my relationship with Him. Keep short accounts with Jesus and with others. Basic, simple stuff.

In praying this way, Jesus is given priority. Nothing holds more importance than being close to Him. When I do, we have communion. He can only show up through me when I continually pull down the barriers in prayer.

**************
Jesus, life can get so complicated. The things I bring to You in prayer can seem so complex and difficult. Yet You simplify the whole thing. I’m to focus on the grandeur of who You are and the grandeur of Your great plan, not get tangled in the messes created by human ideas (including mine) of how things should be. I’m to keep my sins confessed, sins against You and others. I’m to forgive people so that the snare of broken relationships does not keep me from fellowship with You.

The bottom line is that I cannot do even this without Your help. Only You can protect me from the temptations of trying to live life without You, or of desiring my will instead of Yours, or of not being concerned about sin and selfishness that comes between me and You or me and others. Without You, I am not even able to pray as I ought. Along with the disciples, I need to be taught.

No comments: