August 17, 2011

Illness has purpose

While some insist that there is physical healing in the atonement, I believe that God allows sickness for various purposes. In the story of Job, it was to demonstrate that the faith He gave Job was stronger than pain and suffering. Even though this man complained and could not understand what was happening to him, he did not abandon God. When this test was over, his health was restored.

Sometimes affliction is a wake-up call regarding sin. It could be directly related to the sin (like recklessness leading to broken bones) or God’s way of getting our attention so He can speak to us about a sin that has permeated our lives.

However, there are two more reasons that God allows illness. One is that He often uses sickness to take His people home. It is a part of the end of life. The other is a surprise, and in my thinking, if I have to be sick, this is the reason that I would pick . . . 

But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” (John 11:4)
Lazarus did die, but Jesus raised him from the dead and in doing that, He glorified the Giver of life.

I’ve known several people who were ill and became well with no other explanation except that God did something unusual. My husband had an incurable ailment requiring him to take enzymes to digest food. One Sunday our pastor asked those who were ill to come forward for prayer. My husband was an elder at the time so prayed for others that day, not even sharing his own need. However, God healed him and he has never had that ailment return. His doctor said that this was a miracle, and glorifies God with us.

Spurgeon says that God limits the time, manner, intensity, repetition, and effects of all our sicknesses. He knows and ordains even our sleepless nights, relapses, depression of spirit and the outcome. Nothing escapes the hand of the One who numbers the hairs of our head. This is a comfort to me. I know God is wise. I might not understand why He does what He does, but illness is never random.

He also says that God’s limits on illness are also adjusted to our strength, to the purpose God has for it, and to the grace He gives. Affliction is never haphazard, nor its intensity. God makes “no errors in measuring out the ingredients which compose the medicine of souls.”

For this reason, I am convinced that when I seek medical attention, I am wise to seek spiritual attention too. What is God trying to say to me when I am sick?

Illness has another divine limitation. God never afflicts us more than necessary. He wisely knows what is needed to deal with our sin. Spurgeon says (and I agree) that, “when we consider how hard-mouthed we are, it is a wonder that we are not driven with a sharper bit.”

Most of us instantly seek a return to good health when we are ill. It is certainly okay to do that, yet it would be a good idea to first say, “God, what is Your purpose in this? Does something need my attention? Am I disobeying You in ways that I have not recognized?”

**************
God, I am so thankful for good health, but notice that even a hint of something going amiss has me quickly running to the medicine cabinet or doing whatever I think will make me better. Yet You have also taught me to pray (and mean it) that if illness is Your plan for me, I will accept it. If not, and if this is just another tactic of the enemy to keep me from active service or whatever, then I trust You to take care of it.

As I grow older, I expect wear and tear will take its toll on my body. May I maintain an attitude of trust when this happens, knowing that You know all about it and can even use it in some way to bring glory to Yourself. May I cooperate, not complain or be anxious, but trust You to do in me whatever will bring great blessing to You.

No comments: