July 16, 2011

Daily strength, daily received

Events in our community verify that life can change in an instant. A child was killed by a stray bullet while asleep in his home. A man fell from a balcony and was gravely injured. An apartment burned leaving people homeless. A seemingly healthy husband and father discovered he is terminally ill. A business suddenly closes leaving several people without work.

For me, this speaks of how dependent I am on the Lord. My life is physically comfortable, but what would it be if our home burned? I feel safe, but how would I feel if our neighborhood had drive-by shootings? I’m healthy, but what would happen to my plans should my doctor tell me I had only weeks to live? My husband has a good job, yet what if he became unemployed?

My husband is the first person to say “Don’t ‘what if’” yet I’m not sure these are totally negative and pessimistic questions. Sometimes such thinking forces me into reestablishing my priorities, or at least being more thankful for our blessings. Certainly it makes me aware of how much I need to rely on God to take care of things.

Spurgeon brings this to a daily experience, reminding me that my spiritual life is also totally dependent on the grace of God. For that reason, and for the unexpected events of each day, I need to spend time with Him each day, feeding on His Word. Yesterday’s manna will not suffice. 

Morning by morning they gathered (manna), each as much as he could eat; but when the sun grew hot, it melted. (Exodus 16:21)
Spurgeon says to work hard to maintain that sense of entire dependence on the Lord’s goodness. I’m never to attempt living on the old manna, just as I’m not to look for help from the secular world. All that I need is supplied by Jesus Christ. Yesterday’s blessings are not intended to meet today’s needs. For that, I need a fresh word from Him each day.

Manna does not last long because my spirit can quickly falter. I also quickly forget what God spoke to me about in the past. Besides, God may put me on a mountain top today, but tomorrow take me into a valley. I might see His face yesterday, but He hides it from me today. The past can build a foundation, but each day has its own demands.

I know that God loves me and nothing can separate me from His love, yet I also know that He is the source of all goodness. He could withdraw joy from my heart, light from my eyes, or strength from my life. Jesus told His disciples to pray for their daily bread for good reason. His promise is that “as our days our strength shall be.” That means seeking daily grace, daily understanding, and relying on that mercy that is “new every morning.”

He wisely designed this daily need because He knows that in ourselves we need daily reminding and daily replenishing. We also need to discover that His supply is never exhausted. In my need and utter inability to do anything without Him, He continually supplies all and more because of His inexhaustible love.

**************
Father, knowing that no matter what happens I can run to You gives my soul nourishment. I’ve no idea what this day will bring, yet You know all my days. By telling me that You are here for me, I have no reason to be apprehensive. I will not enter the day carelessly either, but watchful and depending on You. Whether today is ‘normal’ or goes to the other extreme, You assure me that no matter my experiences, You are in them with me.

No comments: