May 13, 2009

Tackling the right to-do list

Surveys say that more than half of Bible-believing Christians seldom read it. Personally, I know many Christians who are content with their spiritual lives and not interested in seeking spiritual maturity. They settle into a routine of church on Sunday and giving thanks for meals (sometimes) each day, but exhibit little desire to serve God or be involved in church ministries.

Today’s devotional guide points me to a verse that speaks to my frustration (maybe). It says,
Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. (Philippians 3:15)
The commentary says that Paul might be speaking sarcastically to those that think they are mature and do not need to “press on” toward spiritual completion. He is telling then that they need to think differently . . .

Or he could be telling me (if I am mature) that I should be trusting God with those who seem lackadaisical in their attitude toward His Word and their own growth. If that is what this means, he is talking to me.

The pastor who wrote this guide says, “I pour my heart out in my messages, but I realize that some of my listeners will continue to live uncommitted lives. When you reach that point with someone you’re ministering to, you just have to ask God to reveal Himself to that individual.”

He is right. Nobody can make another person see God or want God. Only God can draw people to Himself, and although I have experienced it, I have no idea how He does it. When I talk about the glory of God, others might agree enthusiastically, or their eyes just might glaze over. They don’t get it unless God opens their heart to it.

This pastor says that when anyone pursues Christ, they need to depend on divine resources. This includes me. As he says, there are times in my race toward the completion line when I don’t have the proper attitude, and God reveals it to me so I can move on. Otherwise, I cannot see it and am no different from those who concern me because they cannot see it.

Many of the burdens of my heart would not be there if I always remembered what I know. Years ago, I was taking a walk and praying. I was concerned about many things and mulling them over as I prayed. Then God spoke to me, not in an audible voice, but I knew what came into my head was from Him. He said, “Get out of my to-do list.”

At the time, I burst into laughter. He nailed it. I was struggling to figure out ways to do things that only God can do. When it comes to spiritual maturity, I cannot make that happen in myself, much less anyone else.

My concerns are valid and I know I need to pray for those who are not growing, but at the same time, they are God’s children and it is His job to raise them, not mine. Again, I need to make sure I’m not in His to-do list; my own is enough of a challenge!

No comments: