August 3, 2006

Possessions vs. 'stuff'

When I was a new Christian I didn’t have two nickels to rub together. When Bob and I married, he had debts and a job that took us all over North America. We’ve lived now in one location for 14 years; our mortgage is almost paid off and our lifestyle is comfortable. Through the years I think I’ve learned that money is nice but it does not hold the key to happiness. I think I’ve learned . . .

But sometimes I wonder how I would react if someone broke into our house and stripped it clean. Last year our car was stolen. After a month, the police found the thief driving it around the city as if it were his, and we got it back, stripped clean of our stuff and needing a good cleaning, but otherwise in good shape. During that month, the thief also had our house keys, etc. so we had to protect ourselves by changing locks and taking other precautions. This was a test!

But robbery is not the only way to suffer loss. I’ve also wondered how I would respond to a house fire. We have a safe in the basement with family photos and other records. What if everything else burned to the ground? I’m not paranoid, but these thoughts run through my mind now and then.

For today: “Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering. . . . You joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded” (Hebrews 10:32-35, NKJV).

I can remember the first time I read this, back in the days without two nickels. My heart was so filled with joy at knowing Jesus that losing everything else seemed a wonderful challenge. I thought it would be a huge test to have all my goods confiscated so I had nothing to rely on but Jesus. In new-life naivete I didn’t realize that the greater challenge is trusting Him when I DO have other ‘stuff’ to distract me, to draw away my reliance!

Tests in this area, big and small, happen all the time. Yesterday we became aware that our granddaughter will be living with us for a little while. She has some problems and initially will need a great deal of guidance and care. If nothing else, this will be a sacrifice of space, time, and some of our goods. Our stuff is not going to be confiscated; we will willingly give up whatever we have. Hopefully we are mature enough to rejoice in this opportunity to serve her, not so much with our ‘stuff’ but with those “better and lasting possessions” — love, joy, peace, goodness, gentleness, faith and so on.

Hopefully we will also remember that no matter what having her here might mean, God promises a rich reward. Not that I’m doing this for any reward . . . right now I’m hoping that she gets most of whatever bonuses He might have in mind!

No comments: