August 27, 2006

Not everything is my fault

As an artist, I quickly learned there is no place for perfectionism. No matter how good my work might be, there will always be a better painting, a more incredible quilt. God wants us to use our skills to the best of our ability, not complete with others to be the best.

This week we talked with friends about “if I can’t do it perfectly, I won’t even try.” Psychologists likely have a name for that. It goes beyond procrastination (my favorite stalling tactic when I’m unsure how to proceed) and effectively keeps a person from doing much of anything. I didn’t think I was guilty of that, but this morning realize that I am.

For years I’ve thought that if I talk to someone about their spiritual condition at the wrong time, I would turn them off. Because I wait for the “perfect” time, and because I am afraid of a negative reaction, I am more often silent than I am vocal about faith in Christ.

This morning God puts another thought in my head. What if talking to someone about Jesus simply reveals their spiritual condition? Whatever I say to them does not cause their response; it only shows me how they are thinking already?

I see that in Acts 17: 2-6. “Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, ‘This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ.’ And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas. But the Jews who were not persuaded, becoming envious, took some of the evil men from the marketplace, and gathering a mob, set all the city in an uproar and attacked the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people. But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some brethren to the rulers of the city, crying out, “These who have turned the world upside down have come here too.”

Even though there was some persuasion happening (faith is not a natural response), the negative responses had nothing to do with Paul’s presentation. If they had, then no one would have joined them. Instead, those who refused his message did so because their own hearts were envious. Their sinful attitude was behind their rejection, and Paul’s message to them about the Messiah brought that to the surface.

This doesn’t set me entirely free to say whatever I want to people. The Bible contains ample instruction about gracious speech and speaking the truth in love. However, I cannot blame anyone’s rejection of the gospel on myself. They are accountable before God for how they respond to Jesus. I’m accountable before God to joyfully tell others about His death, resurrection and offer of eternal life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"These who have turned the world upside down" is the phrase that arrowed off the page to me this morning. It might have been some small comfort to hear, that they were accomplishing something noticeable for God?

Elsie Montgomery said...

I can't help but wonder if while the world was turning upside down they were mostly aware the of turmoil and the spiritual battles, and maybe thinking God was doing something incredible rather than being aware that they were making history? Wouldn't it be a 10-ticket ride to take a trip back in time...!