August 13, 2006

It's not about me

Everyone knows the power of self-talk. What we say to ourselves in our heads comes out in everything we do. Self-talk is usually polarized. It swings from “I can do anything . . . “ to “I’m so stupid . . .” Most of it comes from what we think others think of us, yet I’m learning something more important. As Rick Warren begins his book, The Purpose Driven Life, the Christian life is not about me!

Through the past few months, I’ve been using Scripture to pray and have noticed the changes in me because I’m more focused on truth about God. In relation to self-talk, I can still go either way. As the Apostle Paul said, I’m the chief of sinners—and I need to remember that when pride comes into the picture. However, I’m also a redeemed and beloved child of God. I need to remember that when my sinfulness becomes overwhelming. Yet this easily becomes a balancing act, a wild teeter-totter ride. Surrendering to the idea that this is not about me and putting my mind on God keeps me on even keel.

Today’s passage is a favorite: “Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, ‘Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.’” (Revelation 12:11, 17, NKJV)

Satan wants to keep me on the downside of the teeter, not just in my own mind, but has the audacity to accuse me before God too. “Look at her. What a pitiful specimen. Why do you bother with her?”

The Bible tells me that Jesus lives forever to intercede for me. He stands between the accuser and the Father as One who shed His blood for my sin. That is one way that I overcome.

A second is by saying what God has done for me, repeating to myself and to others that I stand before God as a forgiven sinner, a redeemed child. My words not only affirm my own heart, they drive away my greatest enemy.

The third way is by releasing all claims to my life. This one seems odd, but again, living for Christ is not about me. Everything the enemy does and says tries to make it seem as if it is. If he can get me thinking about my comfort, my desires, my attributes, my rights, me, me, me, then I am defeated. I overcome by not loving me, me, me and instead giving priority to the blood of the Lamb and the Word of God.

This sounds “high and lofty” but does apply to the daily choices of life. First ask, “Am I promoting myself or God by my choice in this matter?” Ouch.

If I can get past that one, the next two are easier. As soon as I admit my selfishness, God applies the blood of the Lamb and I remember His great sacrifice and mercy. I’m forgiven. Then saying so affirms it.

The best part of this passage in Revelation is the promise that one day the whole process will be final. No repetition, no teetering, no feeling like a jerk because I messed up—again. The accuser will be cast down, and God will elevate me to glory for all eternity. Wow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsie, this was the perfect post, for me, on this day. Thank you for sharing it!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi, Lately the posts that get the comments are the ones I thot were the dumbest. Shows how little I know!! blessings... and my granddaughter arrives tomorrow so pray for us as we deal with a totally new challenge!