August 30, 2006

Foolish pride

Pride is my biggest downfall. In fact, I nearly put down “used to be . . .” which would stamp it for certain as unconquered!

Pride shows up in all sorts of other sinful things. For instance, envy. As if I deserve better than other people. But the most obvious is boasting. Something good happens or I do something right, but then rob God by taking credit. I know that “every good and perfect gift comes from above” yet am easily fooled into thinking that my rush of achievement must be crowned by a pat on my own back.

When I read Acts 5:12-16 this morning, I was startled to see no hint of pride in the apostles, even though they were doing some amazing things.

“And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly. And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them. Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed.”

Signs, wonders, unity, highly esteemed, multiplied followers, adoration, deeply trusted, elevated as healers. Had I been among them, I’m sure I would have spoiled it all by blowing my own horn.

God’s word has many places that tell me to humble myself before Him. If I don’t, He has ways of doing it for me. He said pride goes before a fall, and that is so true. Get my eyes off the true Source of any abilities I might have or any good that I do, and I trip over my own ego.

Belonging to a local church is also a good antidote for pride. We not only hold one another accountable, but humility cannot stand in the presence of united worship. As we praise God together, we remember who we are before Him—sinners saved by grace.

This passage also implies that Got does great things if we get out of His way. Pride puts me in His way. Imagine me standing in the place of God saying I did it. What could be sillier? And what could be more silly, and totally humbling, than to realize that I cannot even remember how foolish pride is without God constantly reminding me.

No comments: