July 20, 2026

The ‘Jonah’ attitude…

Then they said to him, “What shall we do to you, that the sea may quiet down for us?” For the sea grew more and more tempestuous. He said to them, “Pick me up and hurl me into the sea; then the sea will quiet down for you, for I know it is because of me that this great tempest has come upon you.” Nevertheless, the men rowed hard to get back to dry land, but they could not, for the sea grew more and more tempestuous against them. Therefore they called out to the Lord, “O Lord, let us not perish for this man’s life, and lay not on us innocent blood, for you, O Lord, have done as it pleased you.” So they picked up Jonah and hurled him into the sea, and the sea ceased from its raging. Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows. (Jonah 1:11–16)
This well-known story describes what God did when Jonah tried to avoid obedience. God told him to take the gospel to Nineveh but he didn’t want to see repentance happen in this evil city. So he jumped on a ship going the other direction and wound up in a very stormy sea. Those manning the ship knew enough about him to ask him to fix the problem. That is how Jonah wound up in the water and into the belly of a great fish.

Jonah had a choice: repent or die in digestive juices. He reluctantly decided to obey God, did what he was told, and the citizens of Nineveh repented.
When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it. But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. And he prayed to the Lord and said, “O Lord, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster. Therefore now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.” And the Lord said, “Do you do well to be angry?” (Jonah 3:10–4:4)
Jonah demonstrates the desires of the old nature vs. the will of God. He makes me wonder how often would I rather a sinful person gets what they deserve rather than receive God's mercy? Think of those normally put in my list: self-serving politicians and others in leadership roles, those in cults who lie to multitudes, false teachers, fools that never seem to use the brains they have, blah, blah, blah.

I have to put myself on that list too. How many times have I acted according to my ‘I wants’ rather than ‘Thy will be done’? What would happen to me if I got what I deserved? Crucified rather than His tender love and care.

An aside. Our oldest son and his wife left their home for awhile and drove to a high place so they could see which way a large tornado was coming. It missed them, but close enough to take out some trees and make the news this morning. 
Jesus, I’m thankful that You know how to counter my selfishness and ungrateful desire to punish those I don’t agree with. I’m also thankful that You know how to warn people of Your incredible power with extreme weather, yet not destroy anyone. You want us to know that You are holy and yet merciful. Thy will be done.

 

No comments: