I have heard the taunts of Moab and the revilings of the Ammonites, how they have taunted my people and made boasts against their territory. Therefore, as I live,” declares the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, “Moab shall become like Sodom, and the Ammonites like Gomorrah, a land possessed by nettles and salt pits, and a waste forever. The remnant of my people shall plunder them, and the survivors of my nation shall possess them.” This shall be their lot in return for their pride, because they taunted and boasted against the people of the Lord of hosts. (Zephaniah 2:8–10)God hears the taunts and insults that people make against His people. Some sneer as if His children are stupid or foolish, as if our values and priorities have no value at all. This can be discouraging if I listen to them instead of the words of God.
The people who do this might feel superior, as did the enemies of His OT people, but God promises to deal with them. At that time, it was to make losers out of them, wasting their efforts and prosperity, even allowing His people to plunder them.
I don’t think that is how I should deal with those who taunt my faith and ideas. God tells me:
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43–48)In a parallel passage, He adds these ways to show love: “Do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.”
He challenges me that loving those who treat me well is no different from sinners. I’m to do this even if there is no benefit to me at all. God will reward me and I will be more like Him when I do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, am kind to the ungrateful and even evil people. I’m to be merciful, as He is merciful, without judging or condemning. He even says how I give will be given to me in good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over because the measure I use will be measured back to me. (Luke 6:27–38)
My sinful nature wants to get even, tell others in an effort to seek sympathy, and even ask God to break that person for their thoughtless and mean ways. Sigh.
Jesus, it seems that in every relationship that no matter what the other person does to me that hurts, I’ve something to change in myself. I’m glad that You do not put me on the receiving end of conflict unless it is to instruct me how to be more like You.
No comments:
Post a Comment