November 11, 2022

Scattered? Or Double-minded?

 

READ James

According to medical doctor and author Gabor Mate, attention-deficit disorder or ADD is a result of a young child experiencing an inconsistent or total lack of bonding with a parent through eye-contact. His book “Scattered Minds” is chock-full of liberating thoughts for people like me who are constantly distracted.

Without going into his ideas in great detail, I was struck by a new thought this morning. For years, I’ve blamed my inability to stay focused on ADD, but James says it could be from a different reason, or at least have a different name.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:2–8)

Double-minded. Normally I would consider this to mean waffling between what God wants and what I want, but the various trials of the past few months have shown me that it is more like waffling between lack of faith and trusting the Lord.

Example: Someone I care about has been listening to a false teacher and sending me some of his lies. This has been distressing. I prayed for days about it, asking God to deal with the false teacher and get this dear Christian back on track. I could hardly think of anything else but my prayers did not give any assurance or comfort. Finally, while cleaning a file on my desk, I found a piece of paper with writing about how lack of faith denies the Cross and the power of God. These truths lifted my burden and instantly relief flooded my heart. I realized I was praying but not trusting God to take care of this other child of His, not believing His capacity to take care of His own even though I was saying the right words. The sudden change made me realize that I was in a spiritual battle and had been delivered by truth from the Holy Spirit, but also was not being steadfast in faith.

James says, “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” (1:12) My steadfastness was missing because of an instability in faith, a double-mindedness that pit confliction between: “all is lost” against “God can do it.”

I’ve learned a bit about dealing with lack of focus. One thing is to just do what God says, whether I feel like it or not. James writes: “But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” (1:25)

James also is well known for his teaching on works, pointing out that faith is demonstrated by acting on what we claim to believe. He cites how “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God, proving his faith by offering Isaac as God commanded. (2:18–23)

James lists some traits of double-mindedness, things I see in myself, like being partial to certain people even though all are “made in the likeness of God” and being proud or judgmental rather than humble and merciful. While everyone struggles with the battle between the flesh and the Spirit, I bounce around way too much between faith and doubt — and am without that steadfastness that God wants to produce in me.

James offers solutions. One is obedience. Another is keeping short accounts. A third is being accountable.

He gives more grace . . . . God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded . . . . Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power . . . . (4:6–8: 5:16)

ADD is a genuine condition. It may produce an unsettle mind that is not certain of parental love, an uncertainty easily passed to my Heavenly Father. However, the Word of God says lack of focus and double-mindedness could be a failure to recognize and confess lack of faith that never wavers in trusting the power of God and the truth of the Gospel. One thing is certain, I’m asking the Lord to help me stop using ADD as an excuse for letting my mind wander away from Him.

 

No comments: