November 6, 2022

Apart from mercy . . .

 

READ 2 Kings 22–25

These last chapters of 2 Kings describe the final years of Judah before they were taken into captivity in Babylon. Even though Josiah turned things around for a time, this account shows the consequences of past sin were not lifted and God’s wrath was not averted.

This part begins with the priest finding “the Book of the Law” and taking it to the king. As the priest read it, Josiah realized their serious state. He said, “ . . . great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not obeyed the words of this book, to do according to all that is written concerning us.” (2 Kings 22:10–13)

These verse made me wonder what would happen in our world if the leaders of nations read the Bible with understanding and humility. I know I need to do it and God uses it to change my life.

These OT leaders asked Huldah, a prophetess, and she told them, “Thus says the Lord, Behold, I will bring disaster upon this place and upon its inhabitants, all the words of the book that the king of Judah has read. Because they have forsaken me and have made offerings to other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the work of their hands, therefore my wrath will be kindled against this place, and it will not be quenched. But to the king of Judah . . . . Regarding the words that you have heard, because your heart was penitent, and you humbled yourself before the Lord, when you heard how I spoke against this place and against its inhabitants, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and you have torn your clothes and wept before me, I also have heard you . . . . Therefore, behold, I will gather you to your fathers, and you shall be gathered to your grave in peace, and your eyes shall not see all the disaster that I will bring upon this place.” (22:15–20)

The king read the Law to the people, made a covenant to keep it with all his heart, and the people joined in it. He commanded them to “Keep the Passover to the Lord your God, as it is written in this Book of the Covenant.” He also put away all the evil objects and people in the land. “Before him there was no king like him, who turned to the Lord with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the Law of Moses, nor did any like him arise after him.” (23:24–25)

Yet despite this ‘revival’, the Lord did not turn from His wrath because of the sins of Manasseh. Judah was doomed to the same fate as Israel. King Josiah was killed by the king of Egypt, and his son who ruled next was evil and taken to Egypt where he also died. His son was also evil and did evil as his father had, finally surrendering to the king of Babylon. All that he ruled was taken prisoner or destroyed leaving only the poorest people in Judah to care for their land. Another relative was made king, his name changed to Zedekiah and he also did evil, was captured by the Chaldeans and blinded right after seeing his sons slaughtered.

Then the house of the Lord was burned, others destroyed, the walls of Jerusalem broken down and the rest of the people carried into exile. A governor was appointed and told God’s people not to fear, to “Live in the land and serve the king of Babylon, and it shall be well with you.” But he and the Jews and Chaldeans with him were killed. The rest of the people fled to Egypt in fear. (25:24–26)

However, Josiah’s grandson Jehoiachin, once king of Judah and exiled in Babylon, was freed from prison and treated well, even dining at the king’s table and given an allowance for his daily needs. (25:27–30) God’s mercy came through, even as His wrath was poured out.

This happened in another way at Calvary. Our sin, my sin, deserves God’s wrath. He poured it out, not on me but on Jesus . . . and I received His mercy. I ‘dine at His table’ and my daily needs are met by this incredible gracious God. We sometimes wonder why He saves some and not others, yet I wonder why He saves anyone — for all have sinned and fall short.

Lord God, help me always remember Your kindness is by grace, not earned or deserved. By Your grace and mercy I have been saved, yet even now as Your child, I can do nothing apart from Jesus and the enabling of Your Holy Spirit. I do not belong where You have placed me, free from the prison of sin and blessed as one of Your beloved children. May my life always reflect Your great goodness to me.

 

No comments: