May 16, 2022

I ride in the same boat . . .

 

 

READ Numbers 10–12

We took a week to celebrate our anniversary. It has been a happy week — until I ate a dessert when I was already stuffed with that special meal and realized this is the basic form of gluttony, one of the ‘Seven Deadly Sins’ and the sin we normally associate with that word. The worst was how I’ve been concerned about a person who is a hoarder . . . another expression of gluttony. Finding out that I am no better takes a hit on my pride.

Today’s reading hits the same topic. The Israelites had been delivered from bondage in Egypt, a picture of deliverance from sin. They were on their way to the land God promised them but began to complain, first about their lot in life and then about the food God provided . . .

And the people complained in the hearing of the Lord about their misfortunes, and when the Lord heard it, his anger was kindled, and the fire of the Lord burned among them and consumed some outlying parts of the camp. Then the people cried out to Moses, and Moses prayed to the Lord, and the fire died down. (Numbers 11:1–2)

Now the rabble that was among them had a strong craving. And the people of Israel also wept again and said, “Oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic. But now our strength is dried up, and there is nothing at all but this manna to look at.” (Numbers 11:4–6)

Moses took their complaints to the Lord with a compliant of his own. He said, “I am not able to carry all this people alone; the burden is too heavy for me. If you will treat me like this, kill me at once, if I find favor in your sight, that I may not see my wretchedness.” (Numbers 11:10–15)

Here I am complaining to the Lord about another Christian stuck and stunted in his growth because he cannot stop craving for reasons unknown and saves stuff that he does not need nor does anyone else need, filling his house with it and making excuses for it . . . and I often eat what I don’t need and have even complained to God about the burden of this other person because he seems to be hindering answers to prayer, prayer for some of the same things I pray for.

In that wilderness situation, God did two things. First He gave Moses some support by telling him:

Gather for me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people and officers over them, and bring them to the tent of meeting, and let them take their stand there with you. And I will come down and talk with you there. And I will take some of the Spirit that is on you and put it on them, and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you may not bear it yourself alone. (Numbers 11:16–17)

Then God dealt with those who were complaining about their food not being what they wanted:

You shall not eat just one day, or two days, or five days, or ten days, or twenty days, but a whole month, until it comes out at your nostrils and becomes loathsome to you, because you have rejected the Lord who is among you and have wept before him, saying, “Why did we come out of Egypt?” (Numbers 11:19–20)

However, this desire to have their own way seemed contagious. Moses’ brother and sister began to attack Moses and had to learn the hard way not to complain about his leadership:

And the Lord came down in a pillar of cloud and stood at the entrance of the tent and called Aaron and Miriam, and they both came forward. And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream. Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?” And the anger of the Lord was kindled against them, and he departed. (Numbers 12:5–9)

Miriam broke out with leprosy and Moses cried to the Lord to heal her, but He said she must be shamed for seven days outside the camp before being restored. (Numbers 12:13–14)

What is God saying to me? Be careful of judgmental criticism. While discernment is needed to know what is needed, God informs me so I will pray, not so I will look down my nose. I am a sinner also, and need to deal with my own cravings and complaining, my own gluttony that over-indulges. Not only that, I cannot bear any burdens without help because I am just as prone to sin as the people whose sin bothers me. That said, I’m thankful for Isaiah 12:2: “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” He is amazingly patient with me!

 

No comments: