May 4, 2022

Coasting on Praise

 

 

READ Psalm 135–140

For these days of reading Psalms, I feel as if I am coasting on praise. The world keeps throwing bad news at my ears. My friends send despairing prayer requests my way. The unsaved people that I pray for seem to continue in their rejection of Jesus Christ, yet in all this the glory of God has been on my mind and my heart is at rest. I know that I must keep praying, but I also know “that the Lord is great, and that our Lord is above all gods. Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.” (Psalm 135:5–6)

From the beginning of being a Christian, I’ve said words like this along with many others who belong to God’s kingdom, yet did I really believe them? If so, why the uncertainties and worries of life? Why the fretting over unanswered prayer? Why the angst over all the bad news from the world? Yet now, as I read the Psalms and praise God along with the music of the psalter, my heart is not troubled as it used to be. I can say these things with great assurance, not so much based on a few years of experience (which helps) but based on a deeper understanding of who God is and what He is doing. My heart echoes these words of praise:

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever . . . . It is he who remembered us in our low estate, for his steadfast love endures forever . . . . Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever. (Psalm 136:1; 23; 26)

I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart; before the gods I sing your praise; I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased. (Psalm 138:1–3)

During the years of believing, many times have I asked the Lord to show me what I needed to know and what needed change in my life and He is faithful: “O Lord, you have searched me and known me!” (Psalm 139:1) For that I can say:

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you. (Psalm 139:17–18)

And I can also repeat the following prayer, not in fear of what He will reveal — a fear that once was there — but knowing that His way is for my good and whatever He uncovers will set me free from sinful selfishness. Praying this prayer again and again happens now with greater trust and eagerness. I want to be clean and clear with Him so often ask:

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalm 139:23–24)

Along with the psalmist, I know this: “Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall dwell in your presence.” (Psalm 140:13) My gratitude overflows back to the Lord who loves me and who keeps on blessing my life beyond my feeble ability to give Him the honor and praise that He deserves!

 

No comments: