May 5, 2022

Defeating my worst enemy . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 141–145

Much of today’s reading involves the psalmist asking God to deliver him from those who are persecuting him. I live in a country where laws against such harassment keep most of it from happening so I have to ask: who are my enemies? What forces try to keep me from living in the will of God?

The common answer is ‘the world, the flesh, and the devil’ which fits both the psalm writer and my life, but for him, the world is literal people. For me, the world is more about “the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life” (1 John 2:16) for when I am focused on these, I’m not doing the will of God. While these ideas can come from external sources with the devil as their delivery media, they can also rise up in my old nature — making me my own worst enemy!

The psalmist prays for help against his physical enemies; however his prayers include instruction for my prayers against the ungodliness I fight that often pops up from within and pulls me away from the Lord.

O Lord, I call upon you; hasten to me! Give ear to my voice when I call to you! Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice! Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies! (Psalm 141:1–4)

Keep praying. Ask God to control my speech and my heart and keep me from being lured by evil ideas.

I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands. I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Selah . . . . Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul . . . . Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground! (Psalm 143:5–6; 8; 10)

Think of what God has done. Hunger for Him and His Word. Seek His way and His will.

I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. On the glorious splendor of your majesty, and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds, and I will declare your greatness. They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness and shall sing aloud of your righteousness. The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made. All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord, and all your saints shall bless you! They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power, to make known to the children of man your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations. The Lord is faithful in all his words and kind in all his works. The Lord upholds all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand; you satisfy the desire of every living thing. The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them. The Lord preserves all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy. My mouth will speak the praise of the Lord, and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever. (Psalm 145:1–21)

Praise Him. Talk about Him to others. Tell the next generation about the things He is doing. List and repeat His glory. Think eternal rather than temporal. See how He takes care of His people and all things. Play “I spy God.” Sometimes attitude follows action so be disciplined. Do what the psalmist did and bless Him forever and ever. It may start in awkwardness but it will grow in glory!

 

No comments: