July 16, 2021

We Sin -- God Saves

 

The Hebrew verbs translated ‘save’ are used 491 times in the OT. The Greek word for ‘save’ is used 106 times. Volumes are written describing what this action of God means to us as humans in physical and spiritual peril. I’m certain my devotions today will yield insights, yet not come close to the riches of God’s power to SAVE.

Some of those OT words describe people rescuing people. The majority are about God rescuing His people from their enemies but only a few speak of spiritual deliverance. The latter especially focuses on God delivering His people from bondage in Egypt:

Exodus 3:7–8. Then the Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey . . . .” 

This deliverance is like His deliverance from sin described in the NT. It is complete (no going back) and unmerited. They were rescued by God’s choice and His faithfulness to the promises made to the patriarchs, not because the people were worthy or holy. Spiritual saving is God’s doing, both then and now.

However, because they were stubbornly unrepentant, God also delivered His OT people into exile with no one to rescue or save them until He did that for them as well:

Ezekiel 34:12. As a shepherd seeks out his flock when he is among his sheep that have been scattered, so will I seek out my sheep, and I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness.

Isaiah also promised a deliverer of all people as it became increasingly obvious no one could save themselves. When Jesus came, He declared Himself as that One who would save:

Luke 4:18–21. “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”

Luke 19:10. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

The word for save in the NT also has application for rescuing, healing and well-being, yet mostly denotes salvation from the penalty and power of sin.

For this, forgiveness is only part of what it means to be saved. God does that and much more; He changes those who believe in Jesus Christ so that our attitude toward sin changes. As the Bible says, we struggle against it, relying on the power of the Holy Spirit to resist it even though we are no longer condemned for it. Jesus took that condemnation on Himself while we were still sinners. Even now, He prays for our deliverance. Hebrews 7:25 is a blessed assurance: “Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.”

The Bible is clear that I am saved by grace using a verb tense that emphasizes a past action that has an ongoing effect. The culmination is ultimate salvation from the presence of sin on judgment day when that battle is over, even though my win was declared that moment when saving faith and a changed life occurred. In other words, being saved involves a past event, a present experience, and a future hope, all accomplished by Jesus Christ.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. The past event of putting my faith in Christ is vital in fighting the lies of Satan who accuses me of all sorts of things usually based on failures in my present struggles with sin. The present experience is always the same — keep putting my faith in Christ. He says that my good works (or lack of them) is not the issue; I am saved by grace through faith, yet my obedience proves it. Vital also is gazing at the future. Every now and then God grants a deeper understanding of what eternal life will be like and this boosts my hope and present joy. Living for Christ may not make me popular and is sometimes very difficult yet the alternative is unthinkable. Praise God for His power to save!

 

No comments: