July 24, 2021

Anchored in Christ

 

Before sitting down with my Bible, I was aware of anxiety and its physical effects. So I had a little talk with myself. I’d just sang songs along the lines of “Jesus loves me” and “I am who You say I am” and “There is a place of quiet rest” and “Have Thine own way, Lord” — a huge contradiction to the tensions I felt. I sat down and became amazed that the next word in my list is SECURITY, meaning a freedom from fear that only God can provide.

Many verses use this word. People rely on many things to give them a sense of security. Some would say money (check), a safe environment (check), good health (check), a happy marriage (check), a great family (check), and so on, making me realize two things: One, I’ve very little to warrant tension and Two, I’m carrying the weight of my prayer list rather than releasing these things to the care of God. I am feeling that if I don’t pray, others will remain in their insecure state.

This is not logical. God promises to keep His people secure. I am responsible to obey Him, pray for needs I see, but even if I can meet a few needs, I cannot produce that freedom from anxiety that God wants them to have. It is His job, not mine. I picked up His to-do list but it is too heavy and not mine to carry.

What gives a sense of security to God’s people? A biggie is obedience:

Leviticus 25:18–19. “Therefore you shall do my statutes and keep my rules and perform them, and then you will dwell in the land securely. The land will yield its fruit, and you will eat your fill and dwell in it securely.”

Proverbs 1:33. “Whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”

Isaiah 32:17–18. “And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever. My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.”

Another is turning to Him and to no one else for the power to obey and for security:

2 Samuel 22:33–34. “This God is my strong refuge and has made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.”

Once security is realized, it’s good to acknowledge where it comes from:

Psalm 40:2–3. “He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.”

Ezekiel 39:25–27. “Therefore thus says the Lord God: Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel, and I will be jealous for my holy name. They shall forget their shame and all the treachery they have practiced against me, when they dwell securely in their land with none to make them afraid, when I have brought them back from the peoples and gathered them from their enemies’ lands, and through them have vindicated my holiness in the sight of many nations.”

In the NT, human ideas of security are unstable. Case in point, Matthew 27:65–66 tells of Pilate’s plan: “You have a guard of soldiers. Go, make it as secure as you can.” So they went and made the tomb secure by sealing the stone and setting a guard.” We all know how that worked out.

Acts 5:23 tells another: “We found the prison securely locked and the guards standing at the doors, but when we opened them, we found no one inside.” God can make nothing out of whatever people rely on, physical or otherwise, to make them feel secure.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. I know what God wants for me, not the security of restraints and rules but the security that 1 Corinthians 7:35 refers to: “I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.” I must rely on Him and pray as Psalm 119:133 reminds me: “Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.” My security is the God who can keep me free from anxiety about many things. This world is filled with bad news, threats, trials and problems, with the biggest —the power of sin — including the sin of thinking His work depends on me. There is great freedom from anxiety and security in remembering that His burdens are light! Besides, who do I think I am!

 

No comments: