February 19, 2021

Growing in grace includes this . . .


The idea of God disciplining people carries many connotations. Some will liken it to the actions of an abusive parent. Others will dismiss it as if God doesn’t care and looks the other way. Scripture says much on this matter and quite frankly, for me the bottom line is that I’m glad God accepts me as I am but equally glad that He isn’t leaving me that way. He teaches, trains, disciplines, even punishes me so that I will be more like a reflection of His image — His intent in creating all of us.

In the OT, DISCIPLINE is often translated from a word that essentially means “to punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience.” This is used as a strong warning to God’s people who are deliberately disobeying Him.

“And if by this discipline you are not turned to me but walk contrary to me, then I also will walk contrary to you, and I myself will strike you sevenfold for your sins. And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall execute vengeance for the covenant. And if you gather within your cities, I will send pestilence among you, and you shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy. When I break your supply of bread, ten women shall bake your bread in a single oven and shall dole out your bread again by weight, and you shall eat and not be satisfied. But if in spite of this you will not listen to me, but walk contrary to me, then I will walk contrary to you in fury, and I myself will discipline you sevenfold for your sins. (Leviticus 26:23–28)

As harsh as this sounds, the same word is in this verse about Solomon who became King after his father David died.

I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. (2 Samuel 7:14–15)

The psalmist realized that God’s discipline is a blessing: “Blessed is the man whom you discipline, O Lord, and whom you teach out of your law.” (Psalm 94:12) God wants the best for us.

Another word translated DISCIPLINE seems easier to receive. It means “training to improve strength or self-control” yet the intention is the same. God knows that “The iniquities of the wicked ensnare him, and he is held fast in the cords of his sin. He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray.” (Proverbs 5:22–23) He also knows that “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.” (Proverbs 12:1) and explains His discipline this way: “Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.” (Proverbs 13:24)

This is loving discipline that wants the best for a child, not the selfish discipline of ‘quit it because you are annoying me.’

The NT has parallel word translated as DISCIPLINE. One means “to be or become subjected to a penalty (as pain, shame, restraint, or loss) for an offense in order to induce some behavior.” Most parents know that some children need tough love to stay out of trouble. Our son was only 3 or 4 when he kept running across a busy street to play with a friend. He didn’t look for cars or listen to our warnings. I told him if he did it again, he would stay in bed all day. He did it the next morning and had lunch and supper in his crib. Harsh? Maybe, but he never did it again.

God also uses this word to say, “Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.” (Revelation 3:19)

Another word translated DISCIPLINE means “upbringing or teaching, the whole training and education of children (both the cultivation of mind and morals); includes commands, admonitions, reproof, and punishment.”

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:4)

I understand this to mean I’m to be the same kind of loving parent that God is toward me.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Hebrews 12 points out that God disciplines those He loves. I am treated as His child.  If He didn’t discipline me, this would indicate that I am not in His forever family. Therefore, I should not get tired of His training, even the chastening part because God adopted me into His family and wants me to share in His holiness. Discipline isn’t fun at the time, but the results are the “peaceful fruit of righteousness” and that makes discipline a genuine blessing.

 

 

No comments: