February 3, 2021

Advice like no other . . .

 

One of our former pastors strongly defends spiritual principles are sufficient to meet every human need including those that many people would take to a psychologist. He often refers to this biblical reference:

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether. (Psalm 19:7–9)

For me, that passage, plus the following description of the Messiah by Isaiah, plus my own experience is convincing:

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)

In the OT, this word means “someone who gives advice about problems.” It can refer to people who give godly advice who are often called “wise” men, or others who “counsel in doing wickedly.” In the description of Jesus, the word “wonderful” is used only here in Isaiah. It means “of an extraordinary nature making it mysterious or difficult to comprehend.” Jesus’ advice is unique!

I get that. One example is when our son was in a new school and was being threatened by two older, larger boys. I prayed. The answer was so odd that we both gulped. However, we did what the Lord advised and it worked wonderfully, just as this Hebrew word implies. As another former pastor often says, only God, only God.

My Bible version uses counselor only in one place in the NT: “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” (Romans 11:34) This Greek word means the same as the OT word. The verse is significant in that it asks a rhetorical question: “Who can give advice or tell God what to do?” Who indeed! It is a term used concerning Jesus only. No one else is called a sumbŏulŏs.

I’ve heard interpretations that the Holy Spirit is said to be a counselor yet for Him, consoler, encourager, mediator, helper, advocate and other terms are used. Even so, the Spirit does convey to God’s people the counsel of God. That word is used extensively in both testaments,

I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel (plan) of God. Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. (Acts 20:27–28)

In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel (plan) of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:11–12)

I counsel you (give advice) to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. (Revelation 3:18–19)

The differences are slight; the idea is that God has a plan and in wisdom counsels His people according to His divine purposes — to bring us to Christlike living so we reflect and glorify Him — and uses His Word to advise us to that end. He says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” (Psalm 32:8)

Lest anyone thinks His counsel is not the best, He contrasts it with that of worldly people: “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Psalm 1:1–2) and “The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.” (Psalm 33:10–11)

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. The more I know Him, the more I’m convinced that His counsel is all that I need. Every issue and problem I’ve ever had has been resolved through biblical principles. This is why I often pray:

You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:24–26)

 

No comments: