February 12, 2021

Grace — not new but eternal . . .


A Friday surprise . . . the New COVENANT was first announced in the Old Testament! Not only that, it came through a prophet whose messages from God were not well received:

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jeremiah 31:31–34)

This covenant with Israel was confirmed in other passages including this one:

And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob; and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.” (Romans 11:26–27)

This is an unconditional covenant for all of Israel, distinct from the Mosaic covenant that had been broken. It promises new life, is universal in scope with forgiveness of sin, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit enabling God’s people to live righteously. Israel would enjoy material blessings, a rebuilt sanctuary and the “law of the Messiah” that is like the law of Moses as it leaves out Sabbath law and dietary codes. “Love your neighbor” is in both, but motivation changed. Moses said, ‘do this and be blessed’ whereas the New Covenant says, ‘you have been blessed, therefore do this . . . .’ Finally, it shows how the spiritual blessings of the Jewish covenants extend to all people of faith in Christ!

For instance, “The mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.” (Ephesians 3:5–6, also 2:11–16)

Rather than supposing the church replaces Israel as God’s people, this could be called a “partaker view” explained this way: “Gentiles were not able to enjoy the spiritual blessings of the Jewish covenants; hence, they were strangers from the commonwealth of Israel . . . . However, when the Messiah died, the Mosaic Law, the middle wall of partition, was broken down. Now by faith Gentiles, as Gentiles, can enjoy the spiritual blessings of the four unconditional covenants. That is why Gentiles today are partakers of Jewish spiritual blessings, not “takers over” of the promises made to Israel.

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree. (Romans 11:17)

Those who believe in the Messiah, whether Jew or not, enjoy all God’s promised spiritual blessings for believers in the Messiah. Whether Jews or Gentiles they reap spiritual benefits that would never be ours otherwise. Through His death on the cross for our sins, the eight covenants of the Bible include explicit provisions, immensely helpful in understanding Scripture. I’ve met a few Messianic Jews and delight in the richness of how their background knowledge enriches their relationship with the Lord.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Jesus Christ, born a Jew, came to earth to die for all people. All are sinners. All need a Savior. I need Him as my Savior but also to enable me to live as an adopted child of God. He is my Substitute, my Prophet, Priest and King. He makes sense of covenants, dispensations, commandments and even the morning’s news and many aspects of living here on this earth and at the same time being a citizen of heaven. He gives me purpose and joy, ability in weakness and the great privilege and delight of focusing on Him instead of my woeful self. He makes promises that I know He will keep. I see His plan and His faithfulness in these covenants and in the remarkable pages of Scripture. Today, as in all days, He feeds me from His Word and worship rises from my heart!

 

No comments: