December 7, 2020

Surviving Hardships

2 Chronicles 7; Habakkuk 2; Luke 21; 2 John

My binder with prayer requests has a page with the familiar “If my people . . . .” prayer from 2 Chronicles. It follows Solomon’s dedication the newly constructed temple. The entire event reminded me that God’s people are now considered the temple of the Holy Spirit and are responsible to keep ourselves holy and pure before Him. This morning the context of this prayer stands out:

Then the Lord appeared to Solomon in the night and said to him: “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, if my people who are called by my name humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. For now I have chosen and consecrated this house that my name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there for all time. (2 Chronicles 7:12–16)

God says that when His people fall into sin, He will send drought, famine, even pestilence. It is in this context that they must humble themselves and turn from their sin. This promise is often quoted as a universal key to revival, even though it was made in a specific time for a specific situation. My devotional says there is “a legitimate extension grounded in the reality that righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people. God calls on all peoples to repent.”

I agree. Added to this, we are experiencing pestilence. Did God send it? Is He asking His people to come face-to-face with any sin that has ruined our testimony and effectiveness as His ambassadors? Certainly sin in today’s temple the church is a reproach that hinders others from faith in Christ. For that, God calls for humility and repentance, regardless of this verse.

The reading from Habakkuk has another familiar verse, not the first part — a condemnation against Babylon, but the second. This truth relates to the need of the hour as well:

“Behold, his soul is puffed up; it is not upright within him, but the righteous shall live by his faith. (Habakkuk 2:4)

To the ancient Jew, a righteous person who remained loyal to God’s precepts and was humble before Him enjoyed abundant life, meaning they would experience the blessings of security, protection, and fullness. This thought shines in a chapter dark with God’s plan for the “apparently victorious but proud and perverse Babylonians” who would eventually be destroyed.

The promise to the Jews is repeated three times in the NT but with a broader meaning. God’s people will live by faith, meaning we enjoy salvation and eternal life as we rely on God and are faithful to Him because He has given us the life of Christ and the Holy Spirit to overcome sin’s power.

Does the first part of Habakkuk’s verse extend also? Jesus did promise to return and deal with all arrogant self-righteous people who have rejected Him. When the disciples asked Him when all that would happen. He told them, “See that you are not led astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and, ‘The time is at hand!’ Do not go after them . . . .”

 He also added that toward the end there would be “great earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences” and “terrors and great signs from heaven” adding that, “You will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your lives.” (Luke 21:7–19) Instead of Babylon being dealt with, the whole world will suffer.

APPLY: All of this says to me that I cannot assume my life in Christ will be totally rosy. I’ve had many trials and if I live until the days Jesus refers to, I will experience greater distress and dangers. I must continue to live by faith and endure in faith. Trusting Christ is key to enduring. I must also to “pray for strength to escape all these things that are going to take place” so I will stand before Him (Luke 21:34–36) in total confidence — relying on His precious promises to save and keep me as His child.

 

No comments: