December 11, 2020

Known and Never Alone

 

2 Chronicles 11–12; Zephaniah 3; John 1; Revelation 2

A noted Christian author tells of standing alone on a ledge on the side of a high mountain in Alaska. With the wind and space around him, he felt alone in the world and unknown. As he thought these things, an American Bald Eagle flew by at his level. As it passed him, its head turned and the eagle stared at him with its sharp, piercing eyes. This man said that at that moment, he felt known and not alone, known deeply. He realized that no matter where he was and how he felt, God was with him, typified by that incredible bird.

At first, the disciples were unaware of Jesus’ identity but He was aware of their hearts. When Andrew brought his brother Simon Peter to meet Him, Jesus looked at him and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You will be called Cephas.” (John 1:42). The next day, Philip brought Nathanael to Jesus. This man was skeptical that this was the person of whom “Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote” but he came.

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!” Nathanael said to him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” Nathanael answered him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” (John 1:47–50)

From John’s first book to his last, he notes the ability of Jesus to know the hearts of people, even entire groups of people. To the churches in those ancient days, He declares:

I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary . . . . Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.” (Revelation 2:2-3; 6)

I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not but are a synagogue of Satan.” (Revelation 2:9)

I know where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not deny my faith even in the days of Antipas my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells . . . . So also you have some who hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans.” (Revelation 2:13; 15)

I know your works, your love and faith and service and patient endurance, and that your latter works exceed the first.” (Revelation 2:19)

These verses remind me of a favorite psalm. It begins with the same wonder — God knows me . . .

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. (Psalm 139:1–6)

The world’s imitation is Santa, of all people. He is said “to know if you are sleeping, knows if you are awake, knows if you are bad or good, so be good for goodness sake” — or more accurately, “be good so you will get all the gifts you asked for.” Do people think of God like that? I hope not! As if He is watching who is naughty or nice so the ‘nice’ will be rewarded? The Bible is clear that His blessings are not based on our ability to earn them. He blesses us because His love is everlasting.

Not only that, in these days of isolation and lockdown, it is a great comfort to know that God knows. He understands the anxieties, the loneliness, the fears. He also knows what will encourage us. Yesterday, He answered two specific prayers and verified something I thought He wanted me to do, not necessarily earth-shattering events, but exactly what I needed to escape the feelings of being alone and unknown.

APPLY: I can feel alone in a crowd, troubled when there is no trouble. Yet even when alone or in trouble, the eye of the Lord God is upon me. I know He knows. I also know that He invites me to talk to Him about all things, wanting to hear from me even though He already knows all of it, often before I do! Again, He urges me to pray.

 

No comments: