December 16, 2020

One life can make a difference

2 Chronicles 18; Zechariah 3; John 6; Revelation 7

Questioning if one person’s life can make a difference, the Lord had me read about two kings of the divided kingdoms of Judah and Israel. They got together in an attempt to recapture one of their cities taken by the enemy. Jehoshaphat of Judah told Ahab of Israel they must first inquire for the Word of the Lord. Ahab summoned 400 prophets and they all said to go. Jehoshaphat asked for “another prophet of the Lord” who told them that this would mean disaster for Ahab.

Ahab wasn’t worried but he did disguise himself and told Jehoshaphat to wear his kingly robes. It almost worked, but the opposition realized this was not the one they were after. Then, at random one of the soldiers shot an arrow between Ahab’s “the scale armor and breastplate” and he died.

This story is about the amazing sovereignty of God vs. the plans of men. It is true when those plans are against the revealed will of God, in this case what the prophet of the Lord told them, but it is also true when godly people make decisions that and intended for good.

We once were members of a large church in California with over seventy elders involved in leadership. Their policy was that nothing would happen unless all seventy agreed to it. In one situation, the plan was to build an education wing. They had the money and the space. Sixty-nine agreed. They honored the man who was unsure and tabled their plans, praying instead. In time, God revealed to all that elder board that this was not the right time or plan.

Sometimes I think that one person cannot make much of a difference. I’m result-orientated and get discouraged when I cannot see a result. Motivational speakers and stories sometimes get me fired up or I have a ‘great idea’ but if it is not supported by others or does not work out, I easily retreat into feeling useless or unable.

The story of this one prophet is God’s way of telling me to simply know His will and tell others. I’m not responsible for what happens after that and most of the time will never know what happens except that James 5:16 says: “The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” This promise is connected to keeping short accounts with God as He does not reveal His will to those in bad need of His discipline, as in the case of the 400 prophets who seemed to be more concerned to impress Ahab than tell him the truth.

This is also illustrated in Zechariah 3 where Joshua was given clean vestments to replace his filthy garments and told to walk in God’s ways. Then the plan of God was revealed to him.

However, the church story about the seventy elders reveal another side to this: God may not tell me what I want to know or how to pray about a matter until His timing is right. It is not always my sin that causes His silence. Jesus spoke often about those without ears to hear, but He also said to His disciples, “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.” (John 16:12)

Perhaps this is the greatest reason that Christians struggle to understand the book of Revelation. We are not ready for it. Not only that, human desire to ‘make a difference’ is strong, perhaps to a fault. I cannot change what God is going to do in the future and if I did know, would I try? The Bible tells me my prayers can be effective and powerful, yet the will of God takes supremacy.

APPLY: This strikes close to home. Hundreds were praying for my great-nephew, Kyle over the past few days. Most know that Jesus could have raised him after his deadly accident. But God did not do that. Instead, He took Kyle out of this world and into His glory. This is better for Kyle, great sorrow for us. It also shows that even the fervent prayers of many Christians does not pull God’s strings. Our best hope is learning to pray in the will of God, being willing as Jesus was, to surrender our will to His. Would I rejoice if I could tell God what to do? Or would I soon realize that my wisdom is folly compared to that of our all-knowing and Almighty God?

I rather suspect that Kyle’s “passing from death to life” (seen John 5:24) is making a difference. His organs may mean life and even the discovery of eternal life to others who would otherwise perish. His short life certainly made a difference in the lives of hundreds who knew Him.

All of this to say that I have no clue what God is doing to make my life matter. I’m still here and trust that He has a reason for that. He whispers: “Just keep praying, My dear, just keep praying.”

 

No comments: