November 20, 2018

God sings over me ? ! !


A few years ago, our friends invited us to their son’s wedding. It remains in my heart as special because this young man wrote a song and sang it to his new bride. Romantic, yes, but also emotional. I think of him reading this verse because what he did helps my efforts to imagine God rejoicing over me as He sings . . .

“The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17)

Tozer says, “Here is emotion on as high a plane as it can ever be seen, emotion flowing out of the heart of God Himself.” Wow!

Tozer concludes that emotions are not part of our sinful unbelief as often taught by some Bible teachers. Rather, our ability to feel is a mark of our divine origin. Joy, love and even singing are from God.

Well, not all of it. Those who laugh at the faults of others are not showing godly emotion. Those who love their neighbor’s wife aren’t either. As for music, some of it is outrightly dedicated to the devil or has lyrics that distain all that God says, so that is not divine, but there are emotions that come from the heart of God, joy being only one of them.

I’ve often thought that some of my emotions are His. For instance, when I watch the news and see injustice or injury or tragic situations, I weep. I know that if Jesus was not in my life, I would not care about much of that. These are people I don’t know. Why should I cry over their pain? However, because Christ lives in me, I’m bound to think His thoughts and feel His emotions, at least some of the time.

For that reason, I should not struggle with tears or laughter. I need to watch out for sinful motivations, but never withhold emotions that demonstrate the way God is — sometimes grieving, sometimes angry, yet always rejoicing, loving and even singing.

This reminds me that that the human soul is intellect, emotions and will. The Bible is clear: I have the mind of Christ and can think His thoughts. I know the Holy Spirit and can live in harmony with the will of God. Nothing tells me to leave out my emotions. Rather I read verses like these:

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.” (Philippians 4:4)
“Rejoice always.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16)
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” (Colossians 3:16)
“You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” (Hebrews 1:9)

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’m still trying to imagine You singing over me. It is far too amazing to picture now, but someday I will clearly see Your smiling face and hear Your songs of joy. In the meantime, I’m delighted to be a vessel for You to express Your emotions. Help me know and discern — and always be glad that You love me.

3 comments:

Darrell said...

If I can borrow your comment, above: WOW!!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Sure. It's a good idea to cite your source, but I don't really care about that - just glorify the Lord!!

Darrell said...

AMEN!