November 18, 2018

Finding the will of God


At times, Tozer’s words touch deeply. As I determine (and struggle) to do the will of God and think that I want Him to be glorified, I know that my ego jumps in and wants to control things. For instance, as I pray for loved ones, do I want the glory of God? or do I want them to be saved and blessed so the burden of their souls is not keeping me awake at night?

Tozer says, “The most advanced soul may be shocked and chagrined to discover some private area within his life where he had been, unknown to himself, acting as lord and proprietor of that which he thought he had given to God. It is the work of the in-living Spirit to point out these moral discrepancies and correct them. He does not “break” the human will, but He does invade it and bring it gently to a joyous union with the will of God.”

That statement hits home, as if God Himself were saying it to me. In that one example alone, I think I have given the concerns to God but realize that I have not. For one thing, when my prayers are not answered, my faith falters. This suggests that I’m not really trusting the Lord but leaning on what I hope will happen.

These days, the Holy Spirit is teaching me that the glory of the Lord is to be my goal in everything, every thought, every prayer, every action. This is a tall order. Part of the challenge is recognizing and forsaking this ego thing which is characterized by my never-satisfied ‘I want what I want’ motivation.

Another part of it is knowing the will of God in any matter and praying accordingly. Today’s Scripture points out that these are tied together . . .

“So Jesus answered them, ‘My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.’” (John 7:16–18)

Jesus says if I want to know the will of God, then I must seek the glory of God. To do that, I must want the will of God and not my own glory. I can almost see a huge stamp coming down on me that says, HUMILITY, pressing me to realize the vanity of seeking my own glory. It can be brazen or subtle, but either way, it makes me blind to the will of God.

Jesus also uses the words, ‘speaks on his own authority’ which convict me. When I talk or pray that way, then I am seeking my glory. I cannot just mouth the words “Jesus told me . . .” or quote the Bible to people, because I can do that with the desire to impress others. Instead, I’m not to open my mouth unless God tells me to speak — meaning that I am speaking on His authority, saying what He gives me to say and seeking His glory.

Tozer also says that to want the will of God means more than give unprotesting consent to it. I’m to choose God’s will with positive determination. This is life’s highest goal and puts me beyond all those little disappointments that plague me, particularly regarding prayer. I need to trust God that whatever happens is His will and will turn out to be even better than what I thought should happen.

^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, Tozer also asks if I can renounce all that is inconsistent with the glory of God and the highest good of others. Can the natural breathing of my heart simply want God’s will to be done? You are showing me that this must be more than mere ambition but a changed inner motivation — one that I know I cannot make happen. As always, I need You to do the work of changing my life and saving me from the sin of wanting my own glory.

No comments: